Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results by Imar Spaanjaars, Paul Wilton, Shawn Livermore; ISBN: 9780471749516
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results ISBN: 978-0-471-74951-6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 4th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Authorized User

Default Appointment Booking

I have tried to install this application and I went through over and over the modification changes from the cd. I have several issues.

1. No matter what time or date I pick to schedule I get this error:
Sorry, the date and time you selected are not available. You can try again, or find an available time with the availability checker.

2. If I choose the Management link I can't access it because of this error message:
Server Error in '/Management' Application.

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Management/login.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

I tried creating a virtual folder from the web directory even. Still no luck to see the rest of this application live.

I will really appreciate any help I can get to be pointed in the right direction or solution.

Old May 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

Did you alter the web.config to change the available hours? Did you install the original or the modified application?

With regards to the /Management issue, try this:

1. Start VWD
2. Choose File | Open Web Site
3. Browse to the application's folder.
4. On the properties grid for the project, set Virtual Root to /
5. Hit F5

Can you now access the Management folder?

If all this doesn't help, please provide more info about your setup: whether you are using IIS or the built-in web server, the physical and virtual locations of your files and so on.

Hope this helps,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Authorized User

I installed the modified version from the cd.
I running a dedicated 2003 windows server with Visual Studio 2005 and MS SQL Server 2005 and I have the two programs on my pc with Vista running as OS.

I have not changed the web.config file at all other than the connection string.

As far as my setup I am using IIS within the Windows 2003 Server.
I tried the suggestion to the Management folder and still getting same error on the website.

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

The modified version doesn't have an installer so I assumed you installed it manually? How did you do that exactly?

The reason I am asking is that the error you get (the 404) seems to suggest that you have changed /Management into a Virtual Directory. This gives it its own ASP.NET configuration including a location for the Login page.

When you followed my steps, what folder did you browse to in step 3? Which files do you then see in the Solution Explorer?

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Authorized User

I just copied the files over into the wwwroot folder on my pc and then ftp the files to my server. When I browsed for the solution. I only saw the solution file alone.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Wrox Author

I am not sure what you're saying. What does FTP have to do with this?

Are you opening the site locally? What physical folder do you open when you choose File | Open Web Site?

Please provide more information (OS, whether you are using IIS or not, version of VS, physical folders, virtual roots of your site and so on) or I can't help you....

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Authorized User

I apologize I was just trying to describe what I have done as far as moving files from cd to pc to the server. So I will try to explain all over.
I have uploaded the files to my dedicated Windows 2003 Server and it is using IIS 6.0.

I just reinstalled the files and tried to access the management folder and this time I have a different error message.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 81: <deny users="*" />
Line 82: </authorization>
Line 83: <trust level="Full" />
Line 84: </system.web>
Line 85: </location>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\designerwholesaleliquidation.com \httpdocs\web.config Line: 83

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Old May 6th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Wrox Author

Am I asking the wrong questions or do you just not understand what I am asking?

1. What is the physical folder where you installed the site?

2. How do you access the web site (http://something...)?

3. Is /Management still a Virtual Directory?

4. How did you install the application? Did you use the supplied installer? "uploaded the files to my dedicated Windows 2003 Server" seems to suggest otherwise.

5. Do things work when you just open them on your local machine in VWD through File | Open Web Site?

6. Is the site configured as a root (e.g. http://domainname.com) or as an application (http://domainname.com/AppointmentBooking)?

So, please please please for the last time, provide the relevant information or I can't help you. As I said earlier, this is probably due to a misconfiguration with regards to physical folders, files and virtual folders / settings.
If you don't tell me how you configure things (e.g. the exact steps you followed to install the app, the folders / virtual folders you are using) I can't tell you what's wrong and you are wasting your time.....

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Authorized User

I will say it is probably me that is not understanding.

1. The physical folder is located on the root folder of my server. The root path is
C:\Inetpub\vhosts\designerwholesaleliquidation.c om\httpdocs

2. I access the site on the web as www.designerwholesaleliquidation.com
and I access it via ftp as ftp://www.designerwholesaleliquidation.com/httpdocs/

3. /Management is not a virtual directory. I just uploaded the folder as is with the rest of the files of the application.

4. I just copied and pasted the modified application files to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\designerwholesaleliquidation on my pc and then uploaded to the server as is with one exception and that was the connection string within the web.config and the connection string located in the App_Code folder to the AppConfiguration.vb file.

5. I have various errors trying to run the site on my local machine.
Most of the time I get : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

6. The site has been configured as the root http://www.designerwholesaleliquidation.com

I am sorry if I am being difficult in understanding and if I can I can email you a separate ftp login and password through my server control panel Plesk software. I can setup the access and email you the link if that will help you see the files as is. Other than that the files on my server are totally just the copied files from the cd and so far the other applications from the cd worked fine and all I had to do is make a connection string change.
So there is absolutely nothing different I have done this time around and is puzzling to me that I am getting this issue.

I just went into the Web Site Administration Tool on my local pc and I see this may be my whole problem. The AspNetSqlProvider is not letting me set to my SQL 2005 Server application where I have the database located and it is trying to connect via SQLExpress. So I am looking to see how to correct this issue.
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Wrox Author

Great; now we're getting somewhere. Take a look at the actual error message:
Code:
Line 81:         <deny users="*" />
Line 82:       </authorization>
Line 83:       <trust level="Full" />
Look at the bold line with the trust level. Where does that come from? It's not in the original source, and the reason for the error. It looks as if this element has been added to the <location /> element for the /Management folder.

I also see some errors when singing up, but they have to do with the configuration of the mail server. It seems that it requires credentials. You can add those to the network element under the <mailSettings /> element.

Finally, you may be able to resolve the SQL exception you get by taking a look here: http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=395

Hope this helps,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars