Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Authorized User

Default SQL2000 Database available with any one ..?

I need an SQL2000 database for The beer House.

If any one has converted to sql2000 than please help here.

I need to deploy a working site on sql2000, since my hosting company does not provide sql2005 support as of date.

P.S.:- Microsoft are always posting 2 database for their starterkits.
One in sql2000 and Other in sql20005, so I believe there should be a way around

I believe someone must have a working database in sql2000.

Thanks in advace

SoftMind
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Friend of Wrox

You can make it yourself, but you'll also have to change the paging code which relies on the Sql Server 2005 features. This isn't trivial, and most people won't want to go to that much trouble to support a DBMS that's been around for many years now. Surely many job propects for you will also expect you to have experience with Sql Server 2005. It's important for your career to stay current with major software releases.

India seems to be following Microsoft technology very closely (and Microsoft has a strong presence there) - surely you can find a low cost provider that offers Sql Server 2005 support in India?

This google search got me 26,000 hits - I'm sure you can find something of interest here - include the quotes as shown:

"web hosting" "sql server 2005" India "low cost"

Eric

Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:54 AM
Authorized User

Ok i understand that.

Still i am waiting for some one who has taken some pain to make it work on sql2000.

Pl. come ahead and help with the database.

Thanks

Old August 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Authorized User

Very Strange.

No help so far. It very strange to know, no one hs sql 2000 database so far.

Pl. help us.

Thanks

Old August 11th, 2006, 08:55 PM

What type of help are you looking for with SQL 2000 ?
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Authorized User

I just want a database along with stored procedures for the beerhouse. So that i can work with it.

The database and stored procedures that comes with beerhouse works with only sql2005. I want this to work with sql2000 as well.

hope i have made it clear.

Thanks

Old August 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to AHaeusler

Hi SoftMind,

that's no problem at all. I've had to fight with the same situation, as my hosting provider doesn't support MSSQL 2005 at all. (But ASP.NET 2.0 nevertheless -- don't know why, but I ain't gonna ask:).) Nevertheless, my problem started already when trying to get the ASPNETDB integrated into my hosting database. Remeber: MSSQL 2000. Now, what I've done, is this:
  • installed SQL Server 2005 Express Edition locally on my computer
  • imported/generated the required definitions (in my case, I first run aspnet_regsql, then imported the DB of TheBeerHouse (which already contains the ASPNETDB objects, so you won't have to run aspnet_regsql in the first place))
  • right after importing the DB, rightclick on the new DB, select "generate script" (sorry, I don't know the actual context menu, because I'm using the german version)
  • select "generate all objects" and in the next pane of the wizard don't forget to choose MSSQL 2000 compatibility
That's it! I hope I've succeeded in helping you with your problem.

Cheers, Andreas
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:37 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you've got to run the generated script against your MSSQL 2000 database. But I think you've guessed so already:D...

Old August 15th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Friend of Wrox

You can't script the data this way, and some of the stored procs can't be ported without a redesign by hand. Besides, I told him that the application requires SQL 2005 anyway for its paging functionality, but he doesn't seem to understand. Sometimes you can learn a lot by going through the motions so it might be a good learning experience for him.

Eric

Old September 13th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Hi Eric, Hi SoftMind,

as I finally got the time for actually working through the book, I'm able to fully understand what you mean by "paging functionality" at last. Like I mentioned some time ago, I'd be really happy if I could use MS SQL 2005, but unfortunately the provider I'm working for doesn't support it -- yet, as I hope. Nevertheless, there are two points I wanted to mention in order to get SoftMind's problem done.

First of all, I've seen that the downloadable code of the TheBeerHouse project already contains scripts for generating the ASPNETDB entries as well as those of the projekt itself on a MS SQL 2000 server instance. But, as Eric said above, the paging mechanism (enabled via the new ROW_NUMBER() OVER directive) isn't available in MS SQL 2000. Fortunately, however, Marco provided some example code for stored procedures with equal results on pages 213/214 of his book.

I, of course, have also worked through the first edition of his book and as it is still present in my bookshelf, I'm able to refer to it anytime. But for those who don't possess the old book, Marco's code example really is a gift. Now the only thing you have to do, SoftMind, is to adapt all the stored procedures the Query Analyzer won't accept to the MS SQL 2000 workaround. Unfortunately, I can't you provide with the scripts of my own database, because while working through this chapter I already did some changes, such as adding culture support to the categories, so it won't easily fit to the "standard way" of implementing TheBeerHouse.

One last remark to Eric: I think I understand the lesson you wanted to teach SoftMind. However, if he has problems similar to the ones I have to deal with (namely, a really really unflexible provider) he just has to find some way of living with such drawbacks and nevertheless be able to use the new features of ASP.NET 2.0. But I have to admit that this messy combination of MS SQL 2000 and ASP.NET 2.0 is indeed a thing not occuring very often -- at least as far as my experience shows.

So long; have a nice day.

Andreas