Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Default Licensing Terms of Source Code?

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't been able to find any info about the licensing agreement related to the source code. I bought the book and would like to use some of the source as the basis for building websites for myself and my customers.

Are there any restrictions on the use of the source code? If I overlooked the licensing terms, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dave
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Please credit Wiley (the copyright owner), the book title, and the author Marco Bellinaso in your comments in your code if you use this. We want you to use it this way, just want to be sure people know about Marco's good book.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM

If you try to download it from www.codeplex.com you will find some Microsoft Licensing Agreement. If I understand it correctly, it has the usual opensource terms that any modifications you do to the source code must also be free unless you manage to package them separately from the original product.

The comment from jminatel seems to imply more liberal terms, is there any other source where it can be downloaded from with more relaxed terms? Based on my initial study of the book and the code, it seems quite good enough to be used as a bases for a commercial product.

Maybe the Linux distribution model could be used here?

Old August 26th, 2006, 11:15 PM

I just noticed that the code can also be downloaded from the Wrox website. I found this link on terms and conditions:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/Section...010.html#terms
which seems more liberal than the Microsoft or CodePlex version. Basically it seems that as long as you don't redistribute the source code you can utilize it in your projects as you see fit.

Old March 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to acdameli

I'm writing a website for an english camp in South Korea sort of a "post camp continue learning english" site with online lessons (like articles) as well as online tests that the teachers at our facility will be able to easily update. I'd like to use the vb code as a base as I'm significantly more familiar with vb than with C#.

I understand the code written to correspond with the book is legal to reuse for any purpose given appropriate recognition however I'm wondering about the vb code supplied by "MythicalMe".

How and how often should I be identifying this code as not mine? Is there a page I can use with instructions on how wrox(or Marco) prefers to have this done?
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Authorized User

Jim Minatel will give you guidance about the requirements of Wrox concerning the usage as I can't speak for them, but I have none. It was done as a learning tool for the community.

Old March 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to vantoko

I think it depends on how you use it. If you use the book as a guide to create a multi tier web application, I don't think you need to mention the publisher, book or author. However, if you copy deploy the code from TBH as is, you should credit them (since they put a lot of work in it)

dunno if my vision is correct here ?

Old March 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59 Points: 18,940, Level: 59
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Since the VB code is based on the C# code from the book, the same attribution will work. Here's the general language:

Portions of this web site based on code from the book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution, by Marco Bellinaso, ISBN: 0764584642, Copyright (c) 2006 Wiley Publishing Inc. Used by Permission, all rights reserved.

And if you could provide a link back to the book's page too, great:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...764584642.html

And if you want to, bes ure to share the link to your site in our list of sites based on the book in this thread:
http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55630

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!