Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Authorized User

Default Slow default.aspx after changes

I went into my default home page and changed mode to shared and modified the page to reflect how I want it to look upon entry to the site. Now it takes quite a long time to initially load. After it loads the links to the other pages load fine but if you go back to home(default.aspx) from within the site it takes a long time to load again. Any idea what's causing the slow down??

Steve L

Old September 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Authorized User

Maybe someone can also give me a little more insight into the functionality of the web parts. I've gone into shared mode as admin on the web server and made changes as to how I'd like to see the sight upon entry. When I hit the site from outside the server the page is blank and it appears the changes were not implemented. It seems like I need to log in from outside and make the changes but I'm not sure why. All input is appreciated.

Steve L

Old September 16th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Friend of Wrox

I'm not sure I can help much without seeing this in person. You can try more logging to narrow down the performance issue - maybe you're getting exceptions somewhere that aren't being recorded.

The parts config is saved in the DB, and it doesn't matter where you hit the site. But it does matter what user you log in as, and maybe you need to log out before you can see the shared page.

Old September 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Authorized User

Thanks for the response. I guess there's really two issue but both related to webparts. What I'm doing is this:
1)On the server itself I'm logging in as admin, changing mode to shared, and changing the web parts.
2)Log in from outsite network and the default page is still blank, no changes made on the server are reflected when entering the site from the outside. If I pull up the local site on the server it loads correctly.
Also:
1)Log in remotely and sign in as admin, change mode to shared, add webparts recent article and recent threads.
2)At this point everything remote slows way down. Speed to other pages are fine but when you go back Home, all slows down. Any time you reload the default page you wait. I've checked the activity on the server side and it's not stressing the server. As soon as I delete the two webparts I put in the speed returns.

Thanks,

Steve L

Old September 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Authorized User

One problem down. After clearing data out of the tables I was able to add the webparts and have them reflect correctly when hitting the site from the outside.

I still have the slow load issue on the homepage only. Not sure where to go on this one but something is really slowing down the load of default.aspx.

Again, all input is appreciated.

Old September 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Friend of Wrox

Try turning on page tracing in the page directive. It may help to show what event of the page cycle is sucking all your time.

It might even be in the AuthenticateRequest event - pay attention to that ugly long list of info you get from the trace.

Eric

Old September 20th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Authorized User

Thanks, I'm trying to decipher it all. If you have suggestions please take a look and notice the slow load. www.ocasaa.com

Thanks,

Steve L

Old September 20th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Authorized User

This might help you a little. In actuality all of your "News" and "Forums" are taking a long time to load. As you are linking to them via RSS on the home page using web parts I'd call it a safe bet that your latency problem is in the news and forums.

Try adding a couple of items to each and see if that clears your problem.

Old September 21st, 2006, 11:04 AM
Authorized User

I seem to be back to square one. I added some news and forum subjects and no change on the slow loading default page. I seem to be back now to when I hit the site from outside I can't see the added items and still no rss. I've been working with the aspnet tables and have modified them numerous ways to no avail. I'm curious why in the aspnet_Applications table there are two unique application IDs on Marcos original DB table, one for "/" and one for "/TBH_Web" since there's only one application. It seems there should only be one entry here, please explain.

Also, when I modify the default page as admin I notice another entry in the aspnet_Paths table. Who is the initial entry for the default page tied to? It seems that if I'm modifying it as shared for all users there should not be an additional entry.

Maybe after I understand the aspnet tables better I'll get a handle on this part. Thanks for all the input.

Steve