Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Authorized User

Default Still Having Issues

I'm still having some problem I can't seem to fix on my own so please throw some options my way. I'll try any and all at this point.

1) No RSS Feed - After modifying my record in the aspnet_applications table a multitude of different ways I am still unable to see my rss feed button on the default page. Originally one was "/" and the other "/TBH_Web". Since I'm using IIS 6.0 is there a related configuration option that I may need to set in my ASP.NET tab of my site configuration?? I'm missing something!

2) Super slow default.aspx load - I'm thinking that this problem may be related to the above in some way. When I remove the "Latest Articles" webpart, which has no rss link, the page loads normally. It appears it's only the webparts with an rss association that causes the slow load. Like I said it appears.

Thanks for any and all advise.

Steve L

Old October 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Authorized User

Just an update on a related issue. When I put news articles out on the site they do not show up either when I hit the site from outside. Everything shows up correctly when I access the site from localhost.

Ideas????

Old October 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to kherrerab Send a message via Yahoo to kherrerab

have you tried to use the name of your virtual directory. is your virtual dir name the same as the physic name

Old October 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to kherrerab Send a message via Yahoo to kherrerab

what browser are you using?

Old October 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Authorized User

I'm using IE 6.0 and yes I have tried to use the name of my virtual directory. My app is on "web/casa1" and I've tried both "/casa1" and "/web/casa1" and just "/" and a combination of them. My virtual directory is "/casa1" and like I said all looks perfect on the localhost. I feel like I'm missing something simple but I've been working on this one for days now.

Old October 5th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Authorized User

Unfortunately the only work around so far is to omit the use of these web parts on the home page. The site will be implemented tomorrow so for the future if anyone can add any advice please feel free to do so. I'll let it go now.

Old October 6th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Authorized User

The question that I have is: Are you sure that you are making a DB connection? If everything is working on localhost then the problem is on the remote, usually with the DB connection (but not always). If you're sure that you can read and write to the DB on the remote, then look at security. If you're hosted in a shared environment, you likely are confined to a medium-trust security and that can alter the way that some things are handled, or not handled.

Old October 9th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Authorized User

Mythical,

I am hosting on our own server. All database functionality is working without issue. I can do everything else as far as adding store items and articles and granting users roles. This is the only outstanding issue for me. Thanks for the input, I'll keep looking.

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:43 PM

I installed and run TheBeerHouse without any problem and it was running fine. But after some experimenting the Default page became very slow. All other links work fine. When I click the home page it takes at least for about 1 and 45 seconds.

Any idea?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Tumsaa

Old October 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Authorized User

I'm currently having the same problem with the web parts not displaying the rss, but only on the remote host.

I WAS having the same problem running the site on IIS. I solved the problem by updating two entries in the second row of table dbo.aspnet_Applications, under the columns ApplicationName and LoweredApplicationName, to be the same as the name of the folder containing my website under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\jgk. I changed the entries to JGK and jgk respectively, went to "http://localhost/jgk", and now it works great on IIS.:)

Using the same approach on the remote server hasn't solved the problem.:( If I figure it out, I'll be back...