Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Authorized User

Default What after studying this book?

Hi,

I have a knowledge in C#, ADO.NET, ASP.NET and SQL Server so I guess I can study this book. I have no real world experience though. I wonder if I can get a junior position after studying this book and recreate the website myself or I need more studying?

Old December 29th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

This may be a little too hard for you right now. Have you ever built real pages, aside from simple test pages? This book assumes you are comfortable with page design and it focuses on the infrastructure that links the pages together. It also teaches many of the new features in ASP.NET 2.0.

Old December 29th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Authorized User

Yes I have built real pages before. Studying this book is not difficult, I just want know if studying this book and recreate the website can give me the knowledge required for a junior web developer position or not? thanks for help

Old December 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Friend of Wrox

You can probably already get a junior position if you can get your name out in your local community. User groups are a great way to do that. Many companies only hire experienced people, but if you can make friends with other .NET developers in your area that can help a lot. It's less risky to hire someone if you know a little about them first. But you typically only find user groups in large cities, so this might be hard for you if you live in a small city.

Recruiters can set up phone interviews for you, also. But this isn't always a good option - it depends on how well you can answer questions under pressure. I sometimes do interviewing for my company and I try to avoid phone interviews because I can get a better feeling by talking to someone in person. I only use phone interviews as a "quick kill" way to eliminate people who clearly don't know anything. Over half of the applicants we get are in this category.

Here's a tip for you - when you go to an "in person" interview, bring a laptop that has some sample code you wrote, and be prepared to explain it. I rarely see people who do this, but the ones who do will almost always get hired. You'll need to answer questions like "why did you do this", or "why didn't you do that". These questions are not intended to make you look stupid, and almost any answer that has some kind of substance would be OK. It's all about demonstrating that you're a "doer" and not just a "talker".

Being a newbie isn't a problem, and you won't be expected to know everything or to be perfectly correct in all your answers. When we hire newbies we plan on giving them a little more guidance that someone with a lot of experience. But you have to show aptitude, and a desire to master .NET. This is one reason why I like user groups - if you go to a meeting on your own time it shows that you care a lot about .NET and your future career. If you don't care enough to invest time in your future, then why should a company do that?

You also want to go to any Code Camps in a city near you. These are Saturday all-day events held about twice a year in many cities. Atlanta has one Jan 20.

http://www.bostondotnet.org/CodeCamp...pSchedule.html

Eric

Old December 31st, 2006, 05:42 AM
Authorized User

Thanks for your advice, it's the best advice that someone gave me. I will do what you just adviced me. I will take a complete real-world website with me to the interview. First I will study and master the concepts in this book with DB Design then I will create a website, for free, for some company.

Old January 1st, 2007, 12:48 AM
Friend of Wrox

I like everything you said up until the last sentence. I would not design a site for a company for free, unless it was a church or non-profit company. I never recommend that anyone do a commercial job for free, and any decent company would not even allow you to do that. There's a code of ethics that doesn't allow free work for a money-making corporation.

If you can't find a church or non-profit organization to help out, you can just make your own web site, perhaps for a ficticious company. This would be fine to showcase your skills and you'd be the master of it, and not somebody else. This is what Marco did with "TheBeerHouse". That way all of the design decisions are up to you.

Let me know if you need help getting a web hosting company set up. You can get a decent ASP.NET hosting company pretty cheap. I think it's around $120 a year with a SQL Server 2005 database. Be careful to look at the prices for both the database and the hosting service because some sites charge extra for the database.

Eric
Old January 1st, 2007, 03:41 AM
Authorized User

Hi Eric,

You have got a point here, thanks for clearning things out. From what you have said I understand that studying this book will give me real-world experience and make me able to develop my own website without a problem.
One question please
Are there any bugs in the website "TheBeerHouse"? I know that it's complicating for a beginner to understand the architecture of the website but if there are no bugs I guess it will be easier for me.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Friend of Wrox

Is there any program of any serious size that is bug-free? This forum is used to work through bugs and fixes, and just to help people having trouble with the book. There's also some errata posted on the wrox site, I believe.

But you should NOT stay out of the work force while you learn from this book. You can get a junior or trainee position right now. Real work experience from a paying job is always better than learning from a book. But books are still useful, of course.

To boost your condfidence you may want to study for, and take, one or more certification tests. This is a good way to prove that you know all of the essential elements and it makes you feel better about yourself. And it's good resume fodder.

I'm bugging you a little more because I had a friend that just wouldn't engage the real world in the form of a paying job. He spent many months teaching himself, even after I told him that he was ready. He finally got into a paying job, but he lost out on a lot of time. The key is your motivation level, and your desire to succeed. If you put yourself in the right mindset you can go a long way. Just remember to be honest about your background and shoot for an entry level junior programmer slot.

Sounds like a good time to consider which new year's resolutions you want to make...

Eric

Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:08 AM
Authorized User

I will do my best Mr.Eric, I just want to know how many problems I will encounter when I'm recreating the "TheBeerHouse". Some books contain many bugs that make it very difficult, for someone without real-world experience, to study and follow. Especially using that n-tier model.

Old January 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Friend of Wrox

If it were too easy you wouldn't learn anything :-) This isn't a step-by-step book, so you'll be expected to "connect the dots" along the way. That's the reason I only recommend this book for people who already have some familiarity with ASP.NET (any version).

Eric