Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Authorized User

Default URL Rewriting

I want to integrate URL Rewriting into The Beer House, any tips on the easiest way of doing this, or how I might start implementing this?

Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:15 AM
Friend of Wrox

It's already being used. Check urlMappings in web.config.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Friend of Wrox

just caught this thread (ok, i know it ws in january!!). Just wondering how the urlMappings in the config works and if it can be applied in a code scenario. Due to my shared hosting, I can't use the Global.asax Application_BeginRequest method and have rolled my own method which 'kinda' works. However, if the method used in the config for urlMappings can be 'transposed' up into code, then that'd be my preferred option. of course, there could be good reason that this isn't possible, the least of which being that it may be compiled into the code and therefore innacessible dynamically.

anyway - if anyone has an answer on this, that'd be great. My main use for it on my site is for extesionless Vanity URL's. you can see my implementation working if you goto http://www.originaltalent.com/andyward . This is really just http://www.originaltalent.com/ShowHomepage.aspx?ID=46 and the url is 'rewritten' (not URLRewrite) to show the vanity url (i.e. you can type http://www.originaltalent.com/jimibt and if that user exists, then his/her page will be shown, otherwise an error page is shown.

Hope you get the gist of what i'd like to do.

jimi

http://www.jamestollan.com
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to vantoko

Hi Jimi,

I'm currently testing urlrewriter.net to do this :-)

I will keep you posted

koen

Old August 7th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vantoko
 Hi Jimi,

I'm currently testing urlrewriter.net to do this :-)

I will keep you posted

koen

keon - does urlrewriter.net still work on postbacks (both traditional and ajax)?? my implementation works 100% fine until i have a postback (such as the comments in the hompage/articles sections)

jimi

http://www.jamestollan.com
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Jimi,

it should when you add a forms.browser into your app_browsers folder.
I read this on a blog somewhere.

I have some problems registering the class in my web.config. when it works I will post it

Koen

Old August 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi,

I just did a test with urlrewriting, voting and comments and it works fine !
Didn't test ajax (yet)
i only have one problem in createing a tranformationclass in my app_code folder.
and then adding the reference in web.config.
it needs a specification of the namespace and the assembly. But since the code is in the application itself, I dunno how to retrieve the correct assembly name.
any suggestions ?

Koen

Old August 9th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Friend of Wrox

I just recieved a message regarding urlrewriter that in a Web site application, you do need to create a seperate DLL to manage transformations.This is too bad since code based on the TBH book puts everything into 1 application, so if I need to create a seperate DLL to manage my transformation, I need to add code to that dll that retrieves information based on the BLL code from my project. (methods like getarticletitlebyID(int ID)

Anyone any idea on how to solve this ?

koen