Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

Thanks for that ... feel a bit sheepish that I didn't actually go
and figure that one out! I guess when you're working on a load of code you do instinctively look for a shortcut! ... a slap on my wrist!

Anyway certainly will hang around and hopefully can chip in from
 time to time. A useful tip I found yesterday was a way to work in
both C# and VB (I have started my site in VB and then started
looking at TBH. I have now started to use C#. Classes can exist in one or the other if you create directories for each language in the app_code folder and reference them in the config file:

<compilation debug="true">
      <codeSubDirectories>
        <add directoryName="_VB"></add>
        <add directoryName="_CS"></add>
      </codeSubDirectories>
</compilation>

Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:18 AM
Friend of Wrox

jon - nice tip. tho' i never use vb, there are occassions where you find a bit of code in vb that can't quickly/easily be translated inti c#.

that would do just the job!!

jimi

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Friend of Wrox

Speaking of tweaks... Anyone worked out a way to integrate subforums yet?

Peter

http://entropia-online.blogspot.com/
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Friend of Wrox

I added some extra code today. My users should now be able to upload a picture to their own profiles.

(I basically extended the FileUploader control with two properties, one to set the text for the label, and one that now holds the fileUrl. In the profile control, I set the text to zero (so I can have a label in the table (hehe. Look at me rhyme!), and just the control next to that.

Then, being the lazy geek that I am, I automatically hide the FileUpload control as soon as SaveControlState is called, and set the AvatarUrl textbox's text to the current fileurl of the upload control. The reason I use SaveControlState for it is that I first tried using the Page Load, and just checking if there's a postback. However, that fires before the button_click from the control fires, so the textbox would end up empty.

I also added a UserTitle the user can set themselves to the forum and the profile.

Haven't uploaded it yet, and the missus wants to go to bed, so hopefully tomorrow you can see it in action. If you want the full code, just let me know :)

Update: Disregard that statement above. Snuck out and uploaded anyway. Just didn't get a chance to check/test yet.

Cheers,

Peter

Old October 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Friend of Wrox

Yes!

My local site has subforums on wheels :)
(Just one level, because I thionk that users don't like to open and open forums to see one thread...)

I have:
Categories
--Forums
---SubForums

My code is very personalized with more stuff, Portuguese comments and others parameters...

BTW, I saw your site and it seems very slow. Anything in special are causing this?
But let me know if you want something in special!
I could take some time to filtrate some of my work for you can understand

Now I'm working with Forums-polls

Old October 5th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Maxxim,

My guess it's at the provider's end. When I run my AJAX code at my own PC, it refreshes every second. At the host, it's once every three seconds. For now, it's not that big an issue for me. And seeing I'll soon have about 20 people testing, I'm hoping that'll act as a kick in the butt to the host to ook into it. If not, an E-mail is sent easy enough (My provider has so far been extremely fast to address any concerns I had).

I'd be interested in seeing how you managed the subforums. I totally agree that one level is more than enough. Personally, I planned on adding a ParentForumID column, and leaving it pretty much at that. However, I wouldn't mind having my site's forum resemble VBullentin a little more, so it'd be neat to also have some UI where the "ParentForum" is more like a bucket for the subforums or something. Preferably in such a way that one can choose to hide a whole forum section, and even unsubscribe from seeing new posts on those forums when the user looks for "New posts".

Cheers,

Peter

Old October 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hello Peter, i'm having some problems with CSS, and I need to upload my site anywhere in order to run a good validator and test it online.

You can see then what I made.

I don't remember but i added a column "ParentForumID" to Forums table.
I made a treeview to manage forums and subforuns.

On my Forum/default.aspx I bind by forumsCategories with a repeater and then I bind my forums(0) with a grindview inside the repeater...

I just call my forums with parentforumid = 0 but I check lastpostby and lastpostdate of all subforums by each rootforum.

On my Forum/Forum.aspx I added a gridview on the top to list my querystringForumID subforums!
On the bottom I have the same gridview to bind threads os the current forum!

If i click on the subforum and redirect again to my "Forum/Forum.aspx" but the forumsgridview will be hidden because this current forum has no childs...

Basically is that!

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Authorized User

To jimibt.

Hi there!
Is there a download link of your "Ajax improved & Categories" forum engine??? It is so nice to see that you are so far from the original one :)

Old October 24th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Friend of Wrox

krainov - unfortunately, i haven't released the further advances that i've made on the forums as this particular part is closely integrated with telerik controls and therefore not easily ported over to ms ajax. i will at some point take a look into doing this, but for now it's 'in the plan'.

jimi

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Authorized User

jimibt

I've been away for awhile and I haven't been following all changes as they have evolved. Forgive me if I ask questions that have been covered before.

What part of the forum uses telerik tools. They published an article a couple months ago on how to use their tools to create a forum from scratch. Did you follow that? A forum is based on a grid contol. Is your forum now based on the telerik grid?

I see that there is a tab control along the top of your forum. Is that a telerik tab control?

Where else is there AJAX functionality?

I ask these questions because I have a telerik license.

Pat

http://weboperahouse.com
http://www.boyleed.com