Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Default 2nd Question...

I was deleting the entries in the WebEvents_Events table, but, it won't let me delete a number of them. The error I get says that "string or binary data would be truncated" therefor the operation was canceled. In looking at the file, all of the entries that can't be deleted are the same... Error code 3005, a System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException error. I'm guessing that the problem is due to the data in the "Details" field... it seems there is more data than can be displayed\handled appropriately?

Anyone have a solution for this one?

Thanx,
Wolven

Old April 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49 Points: 13,255, Level: 49
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to dparsons

Hmm. I have never had this problem trying to DELETE data, only INSERTING it. If you are trying to clear all of the data from the table, you can use this command: TRUNCATE TABLE WebEvents_Events

WARNING TRUNCATE will delete ALL rows in your table and it also will reset the any auto increment fields back to the default values.

Not sure why you are getting this error, but it is worth a try.

================================================== =========
Read this if you want to know how to get a correct reply for your question:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
^^Took that from planoie's profile^^
^^Modified text taken from gbianchi profile^^
Technical Editor for: Professional Search Engine Optimization with ASP.NET
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...470131470.html
Why can't Programmers, program??
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000781.html
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM

Thanx for the suggestion. I was able to get rid of them by using Delete where EventCode = 3005. Still, there's something wrong with the MS SQL Server Management software when it "can't" delete "some" records.

Wolven

Old April 21st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

Were you originally trying to delete with SQL, or from the SSMS? I've found a number of issues with SSMS in general :-( Oddly, MS doesn't see to put much emphasis on fixing them, but they are quick to respond to issues in the back-end DBMS.

Eric

Old April 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM

I was doing it from the SSMS. It worked for all of the records except the error code 3005 entries. I also ran the Delete SQL statement that finally got rid of them from within the SSMS. Actually, I ran the Delete and then "shrank" the DB to actually remove the records.

Yeah, like all MS products, the SSMS is a bit flaky.