Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Default AddEditArticle.aspx - validation error

Hello,

I am implementing Chapter 5 of the book and was about to test the AddEditArticle.aspx page. When I tried to insert a new article I got the following error:

System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client

The text of the article that I pasted into the FCKeditor contained some html tags, since it was copied from the web browser and retained the html formatting.
I can't quite figure out where or how the Helpers.ConvertToHtml method is being called to en/decode the html.

I wonder if anyone else has come across this problem and could help.

Thanks,

Emily

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:40 PM

I think I found the answer - I needed to include ValidateRequest="false" in the page directive at the top. I'm still confused about how come the validation controls still work even though the VaidateRequest attribute is set to false.

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Friend of Wrox

emilypost,

ValidateRequest is releted to the HttpRequest and not to the individual controls on the page. that's why when it detects some html that it feels could compromise security and/or page integrity, it throws the exception.

it's a trade off really setting it to false to allow everything thro. in 99% of cases, it's fine, even more so with the beerhouse dal as it's using parameterised sp's. your main issue may well be stray divs 'bending' your page etc.

jimi

http://www.jamestollan.com
Old May 31st, 2007, 02:55 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimibt
 emilypost,

ValidateRequest is releted to the HttpRequest and not to the individual controls on the page. that's why when it detects some html that it feels could compromise security and/or page integrity, it throws the exception.

it's a trade off really setting it to false to allow everything thro. in 99% of cases, it's fine, even more so with the beerhouse dal as it's using parameterised sp's. your main issue may well be stray divs 'bending' your page etc.

jimi

http://www.jamestollan.com
So is this the only solution? turning off request validation?

Thanks!