Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Default How to reference field by name

I'm fairly new to c# and I hope there is already an easy way to do this.

After using the BLL to read an Article, I want to use a variable to reference the individual field names. i.e.,

Article["Title"] would give me the value of Article.Title.

The quoted field name are coming from an array and won't include every field in the Article.

Thanks for any help.

Old December 21st, 2007, 06:34 AM
Friend of Wrox

dsr771 - this is just my opinion. i don't think it's a great idea to bypass strongly types variables, as further down the line, you are bound to make some changes to the structure (or scaling it up) that will cause a lot of reworking. i'm just curious to know why you propose using the array, rather than using the article class from the BLL. there would be no 'expense' in using the the article class even if you didn't want to use all of the properties.

there is obviously a reason why you want to go down this route (reflection??) and if that were described, then i think it'd be perhaps easier to address the issue above based on your reasoning.

all the best for now

jimi

http://www.originaltalent.com
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimibt
 dsr771 -
there is obviously a reason why you want to go down this route (reflection??) and if that were described, then i think it'd be perhaps easier to address the issue above based on your reasoning.

all the best for now

jimi

http://www.originaltalent.com
Thanks for the reply. I do want to use the object for most functions. I ran into a problem where I have form fields on multiple tabs of a ajax tab container and asp.net doesn't see those controls and does not update the data. So I'm building a workaround since my project requires use of tabs with data fields on more than one tab.

I'm writing code in the ItemUpdating event to find the control on the correct tab and copy the values back to the FormUpdateEventArgs e.

I use:
oldData = BLL.Aritlces.Article.GetArticleByID(x);
then I loop a hash table that defines my fields and which tabpanel they are on. Then search for the control SelTabPanel.FindControl(), then:

e.OldValues[key] = oldData[key]; // I want to do this instead of oldDate.ColumnName
e.NewValues[key] = txtBox.Text;

I suppose if I could convert oldData to a DataRow or something.

This process does save my data and it works well to monitor changes.

I welcome any ideas. Hope this makes sense.