Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Default What are the steps to recreate this database?

My other thread doesn't seem to be getting any response, so I'm willing to build the DB from scratch.

My problem is nothing recognizes it.
#1) I ran aspnet_regsql.exe tool from command line and once I've done with by just double clicking.
#2) I ran the scripts CreateAllObjects.
#3) ASP NET Config tool errors when trying to create users.
NOTE: Keep in mind this is using the same code as the BeerHouse minus code for features: Store, Newsletter, Polls.
Yes my connnection string points to the db.

I have VS2005 and SQLExpress 2005.
Again, I'm just trying to rebuild the DB as they did when the developed it and I'm having a problem attaching or something.
Now I can attach in Server Solution, but when ASP NET Config won't create users for it. An error comes up.

So anyone have the step by step instructions on BUILDING the database from ground up?

Thanks!

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Friend of Wrox

Can you create a connection to the DB using Server Explorer, and then drill down on the tables to ensure that the aspnet_* tables have been created?

Is your web.config set up to attach to the DB in app_data? That's what the config tool uses to connect to the db.

Did you have to run the attach commands in SQL Server Management Studio before steps 1 and 2? If so, you may have to detach before you can open the DB from the web.config settings. That whole auto-attach concept is flaky at best. I prefer not to use it. I normally keep my DB's attached to SQL Server, and I modify the connection string in web.config to point to my local DB. But for that to work, you also have to enable the TCP/IP protocol for SQL Server. See the book's readme file for info on the attach.detach commands.

By the way, I thought I'd point out that this is not a step-by-step book, so you can't create the whole DB (all tables and procs) just by following along in the book. The book assumes you know SQL Server and it doesn't give you explicit steps for every detail. Most newbies are better off starting with the canned DB.

Eric