Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Default display a line of text + image on front page

Hello,
I would like to display images in abstract to have a few lines + a small image on a front news page. Would I need to change alot of code, or would it be enough to include fckeditor once in addeditarticle.

Another idea would be to use body text, and only display for example the first 30 words (+ image). But I'm not sure how easy this would be compared to using abstract field or making a new field. Similar text in 3 fields sounds like overkill though.

regards, nakori

Old June 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Authorized User

Hi Nakori,

I had also toyed with a similar idea. Displaying a set number of words from your article body would not be the best idea as you are restricting yourself somewhat to always providing a good enough "abstract" in that amount of words.

Your first idea of using fckeditor within your AddEditArticle.aspx is certainly the better of the two and as it is quite easy to see from the body field how to implement this for the abstract. Also you can create a custom toolbar set within FCKeditor to limit the number of formatting options within the abstract (perhaps you ONLY want to allow for images to be added and no other formatting).

My problem with this approach, and it may not be an issue for your site, is that if your aim is to display just one image within the abstract, it could be quite difficult to ensure that all abstracts are formatted in the same way.

Personally, the way I would achieve this is to create an Article ImageUrl field (similar to that of the Categories) and then use an asp:image control on your article listing, and bind the ImageUrl to this. As with the Categories it would help to keep your article images the same size to preserve consistent formatting.

Whilst this solution may actually be a bigger task than plonking another FCKeditor control on your AddEditArticle.aspx page, it would certainly be the most logical in my eyes.

Hope that helps.