Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Default Help with CacheTables

I am working on Chp 3, pg 64 where you register the aspnet_cacheTablesForChangeNotification and I am trying to add support for the customers table. The Customers table does not exist in my database and I cannot find the design anywhere. Does anyone know the design or can point me in the direction where I can find the design of the table?

Thanks.

Old September 30th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Wrox Author

I think you're in the wrong forum...

Old October 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lee: aspnet_cacheTablesForChangeNotification is discussed on page 64 of ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming PDS. Why would this be the wrong forum for Jk677's question? Seems right to me.

Jim Minatel
Acquisitions Director
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Wrox online library: http://wrox.books24x7.com

Old October 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Wrox Author

Whoops, you're right! My bad. I must be blurry from so much Blox editing... ;)

Old October 1st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Wrox Author

Okay then, I looked at this and I see your misunderstanding. I'll admit, it is a little confusing.

The way the book is laid out, each chapter presents a "Problem-Design-Solution". What you're asking about is discussed in the "Design" part of Chapter 2. Often, in the "Design" sections of these chapters, various alternate methods of attacking the "Problem" are discussed in a general or theoretical manner.

In Chapter 2, Marco discusses various caching scenarios, and the one in particular he's talking about here is table-level SQL Dependencies. However, he is talking about how one might implement table-level dependencies in general, and shows how it would be done against a "Customers" table in some hypothetical application.

The thing is, this is NOT the caching method that ends up being implemented in the "Solution" part. That means a lot of this side discussion of caching scenarios ends up not being directly applicable to TheBeerHouse at all. Again, here Marco is only saying, "here are the things I looked at implementing, and here's why I decided to go in this direction instead of that one."

Bottom line: the Design parts do a good job of considering different ways of "skinning the cat" so to speak, but the actual implementation is presented in the Solution parts. If you are following along, you need to be aware of this.

Hope this helps.

Old October 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM

Yes this does help. My problem is I don't read the book every night and as a result I lose track of where i am at in the book. Thanks again for your help.