Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Authorized User

Default Strange session isues

I've created some pages in TBH that use gridviews and detailviews to display or edit data. I have them pulling parameters from session variables. In testing when I add a new user and go through them everything works pretty well but when I logout and login as another user sometimes those variables are blank sometimes they are values from the previous login. When I hit refresh some times it clears up the problem sometimes not.

As a newbie some of the subtler aspects of cookies, caching and session timeouts are pretty mysterious to me but I think the problem lies in there somewhere.

Can anyone help? Thanks,

Shawn

Old December 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Wrox Author

Can you recreate the issue in a brief sample and post it? It would be difficult to diagnose what problem you're having without seeing what you're doing.

Code:
if (this.PostHelpedYou)
{
   ClickThanksButton(); 
}

Old December 17th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dumond View Post
Can you recreate the issue in a brief sample and post it? It would be difficult to diagnose what problem you're having without seeing what you're doing.
I have this in the codebehind of the template.master:

protectedvoid Login_LoggedIn(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Login lg = sender asLogin;
SqlConnection myConnection;
SqlCommand myCommand;
SqlDataReader myDataReader;
string connectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["LocalSqlServer"].ConnectionString;

myConnection =
newSqlConnection(connectionString);
myConnection.Open();
//prepare sql statements
myCommand = newSqlCommand("SELECT family_id FROM family WHERE user_name = @user", myConnection);
myCommand.Parameters.Add(
"@user", SqlDbType.VarChar, 30);
myCommand.Prepare();
myCommand.Parameters[
"@user"].Value = lg.UserName;
myDataReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader();
myDataReader.Read();
if (myDataReader.HasRows)
{
Int32 familyId = myDataReader.GetInt32(0);
Session[
"FamilyID"] = familyId;
}
myConnection.Close();
}

But then when I go to another page that displays the family_id in a label and then retrieves a gridview using it as parameter they are both blank. Or sometimes they have the id number of the previous login. Sometimes I refresh in the browser and nothing changes sometimes it brings up the correct id.

Thanks.

Old December 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Authorized User

A further test result. On the page after I run that code when it first comes up it shows the FamilyID as blank, I wait one minute, hit browser refresh and now it is correct.

Que the twilight zone music...

Old December 17th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Authorized User

Another quick test result. It doesn't happen with the ASP.Net development server only on the production server: 2003/IIS 6.