Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Friend of Wrox

Default Edit Profile page

I must be missing something. When I Log in as Administrator to the Beerhouse project I downloaded, and look at the edit profile page, I don't see any way to edit the e-mail address.

Rachel

Old January 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Wrox Author

You aren't missing anything.

The application, as written doesn't provide a way for a user to edit the email address. Kinda weird, I know.

You can always add that functionality yourself. It wouldn't be very difficult to do. Keep in mind that the email is a user property, not a profile property. So, you'd have to use the MembershipUser.Email property to set it.

Code:
if (this.PostHelpedYou)
{
   ClickThanksButton(); 
}
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Dumond For This Useful Post:
Rachel (January 12th, 2009)

Old January 12th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Friend of Wrox

Thanks. When I've finished it, I will definitely try to provide that for users.

I've had the problem with so many websites that I could no longer log in to access my records because my old email address (from my cable provider) had expired and there was no way to change the e-mail the website had listed for me. Instead I had to create a new account and then lose access to all history/records. So I think it is a worthwhile feature to add.

I'm glad you reminded me that I'd need to use the MembershipUser.Email property rather than try to add it to the profile property which I would have tried to do. I guess I'd put some note or link on the profile page that they'd need to go to another page to update their email?

Rachel

Old January 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post

I've had the problem with so many websites that I could no longer log in to access my records because my old email address (from my cable provider) had expired and there was no way to change the e-mail the website had listed for me. Instead I had to create a new account and then lose access to all history/records. So I think it is a worthwhile feature to add.
I know what you're saying, but that is only an issue when a site uses the email address as the sign-in name. TheBeerHouse doesn't do that, so you would never have that particular issue with this site, even without the ability to change the email address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I'm glad you reminded me that I'd need to use the MembershipUser.Email property rather than try to add it to the profile property which I would have tried to do. I guess I'd put some note or link on the profile page that they'd need to go to another page to update their email?

Rachel
You don't have to send them to another page, you could incorporate the email editing directly into the same EditProfile page.

Code:
if (this.PostHelpedYou)
{
   ClickThanksButton(); 
}
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Dumond For This Useful Post:
Rachel (January 12th, 2009)