Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 9780470410950
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution by Nicholas Berardi, Al Katawazi, and Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780470410950
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 9780470410950 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 21st, 2009, 02:06 AM
Authorized User

Default BeerHouse Code

Aloha,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had to enable session state in the web.config file and add the storekeeper role to the database to get the final download completely functional.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Wrox Author

Send a message via AIM to nberardi

Hi zonde,

You don't actually need the sessionState enabled for anything. Did you find a place that you needed it?
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
Authorized User

Question Session State

I may be missunderstanding it, but when I try to run the project without session state enabled I get the following error:

The SessionStateTempDataProvider requires SessionState to be enabled

It's related to line 19 in Default.aspx - HttpHandler...

When I enabled sessionstate it worked fine. Should I be doing something else? Or is this error specific to something I am doing?
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zondre View Post
I may be missunderstanding it, but when I try to run the project without session state enabled I get the following error:

The SessionStateTempDataProvider requires SessionState to be enabled

It's related to line 19 in Default.aspx - HttpHandler...

When I enabled sessionstate it worked fine. Should I be doing something else? Or is this error specific to something I am doing?
That is weird, I am not getting that error at all. What version of MVC are you running? Do you have an old version installed in your GAC?
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nberardi View Post
That is weird, I am not getting that error at all. What version of MVC are you running? Do you have an old version installed in your GAC?
I have version 1.0.4... I believe it's the latest version. I have been keeping current on all of my updates. And, I'm using VS2008 version 9.0.3...
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Wrox Author

What do you mean 1.0.4? Are you using somebody else branch build of the MVC Framework? Because it was released as version 1.0.0.0. And there is really nothing to keep up with, just download the latest off Microsoft Download.

If you are using a different version that could be the reason for the problem.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nberardi View Post
What do you mean 1.0.4? Are you using somebody else branch build of the MVC Framework? Because it was released as version 1.0.0.0. And there is really nothing to keep up with, just download the latest off Microsoft Download.

If you are using a different version that could be the reason for the problem.
I checked the properties on the mvc.dll and it says it's file version 1.0.40310.0. I downloaded it from Microsoft. I just didn't know if any of my VS updates or regular Windows updates included an update for MVC. But, it looks like that is not the case.

By the way, I also had a yellow exclamation mark on the references to both managedfusion files, which came up as build errors. It said it couldn't find the files. I removed the them and added the reference again and it was fine.

I bought the book already when it was first available. But, I am anxious to learn more about MVC and so I am trying to use the MVC professional book together with this code to figure it out.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:36 PM
Wrox Author

Hmmm... Okay you got the version from a different place that I did. I used the GAC version, you used the File or Product version. They appear to be the same, I honestly don't know what would be causing this difference, but I will add in the sessionState to be safe. Also we are working through some of the issues in the assembly such as those you mentioned, we will be replacing the current download with the newest one.