Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 9780470410950
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution by Nicholas Berardi, Al Katawazi, and Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780470410950
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 9780470410950 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Default Managed Fusion

Can ya'll explain a bit about Managed Fusion. ( It appears to be a product of someone's personal business or soon to be one.)

I'm not seeing any explanation of it in the book, such that it seems ya'll have avoided mentioning it, an omission that had this reader a slightly confused for a spell. Please correct me if I just missed the discussion; I tend to scan sometimes.

For a teaching book, I'm wondering if the inclusion of the ManagedFusion dlls was a bad idea. It might have been better to stick to Microsoft tools only, so your readers could refer to msdn for further explanations.

I'm going through the effort to rewrite BeerHouse, excluding Managed Fusion.

Thanks,
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 4,942, Level: 29 Points: 4,942, Level: 29 Points: 4,942, Level: 29
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Managed Fusion is the company founded and operated by one of the authors (Mr. Berardi)

http://www.managedfusion.com/

Their products are open-source (free) and pretty well documented.

You certainly cannot expect a serious application these days to be built solely with tools and technologies straight from Microsoft. Open source projects are finding their way into just about everything now. Get used to it.

Code:
if (this.PostHelpedYou)
{
   ClickThanksButton(); 
}
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Roger that, Lee;

I very much appreciated Sanderson's inclusion of Moq and NUnit in his MVC book from APress, but Managed Fusion, though it may be a great product, seems to have only one contributor, a bad sign for longevity, and not a single recommendation on SourceForge. StackOverflow returns only about a dozen posts that reference ManagedFusion.
I'm just not getting the warm and fuzzies that I like. Maybe it's just the lack of any mention in the book about the dll references and what they do - or maybe I just missed it. I do appreciate the BeerHouse site design from a business point of view and it's always fun to see how others would implement a design.

Thanks,

Last edited by oldcode; August 27th, 2009 at 11:05 PM..
Old August 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Wrox Author

Send a message via AIM to nberardi

Hi oldcode,

I understand your concern over the code. Some people understand TheBeerHouse for what it is, as a great learning tool for getting them started with ASP.NET MVC, others are trying to make a business of setting up websites around it. I can understand the point of not wanting to use outside projects that may not be supported if you are setting up a business, but that wasn't the goal of TheBeerHouse.

The point of ManagedFusion.Web.dll and ManagedFusion.dll was not to add functionality that will stay with TheBeerHouse in the future, it was to fix some of the gaps that were missing in the MVC framework. Over the course of writing the book during the last year, we removed 75% of the ManagedFusion libraries code that was originally in TheBeerHouse code base, because the same or similar functionality was added by the MVC framework over the course of the preview releases.

That is why they weren't mentioned in the book, because at the time of writing we didn't know what was going to be there and what wasn't by the end of the book. Also we do talk about the attributes from the ManagedFusion libraries in the book, we just don't mention were they came from assembly wise, for example you will see HttpPostOnly mentioned quite a few times in the text.

Secondly, I am sorry you are not getting warm and fuzzy feelings, but StackOverflow and SourceForge (do people still use this) isn't really an exhaustive search. If you checked code.google.com and codeplex you would have found many more references, including the actual source code:

http://code.google.com/p/coderjourna...e/browse/trunk

Which is very liberally licensed, using the BSD License. So if you are inclined you can copy and paste just the code from ManagedFusion.Web.dll in to TheBeerHouse and pretend it was always there. Other than that I don't know what to tell you, TheBeerHouse forums and even the P2P forum has covered this topic ad nauseam.

I wish you the best in your rewrite, you will find 4 action filter attributes that come from the ManagedFusion libraries:
  • ServiceAttribute
  • HttpGetOnlyAttribute
  • HttpPostOnlyAttribute
  • ServiceOnlyAttribute

I hope this adequately explains the point of ManagedFusion, and that it is my hopes that it will eventually be removed once the MVC framework catches up to some necessary features that I felt the MVC framework was lacking.

Nick Berardi

Last edited by nberardi; August 28th, 2009 at 07:26 AM..
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks, Nick;

That perfectly answers my question. Actually, I am using TheBeerHouse as a learning tool, which is why I was sort of complaining about the dlls, thinking that if the functionality they were providing were a part of the BeerHouse assembly, a reader in learning mode, and likely in rush mode, would have found it right under her nose. I have viewed the source and it turns out, this is a good learning experience afterall: a real world scenario where you need to dig a bit for your answers. Having a book in my hand made me lazy.

Thanks much for the book, I'm enjoying it and learning from it. I worked through the other two books, Sanderson and the MSFT-Four (Conery, Hanselman, Haack, Gu), prerequisites I'd say to yours and I appreciate a third application and a new style.