I've coordinated with user "ms" to post my copy of ThePhileII on his server. Anyone who's having trouble getting the basic site working may want to download this and check it out!
Here's some items that you need to know:
- this code is only for the C# version
- it has a lot of security-related bug fixes
- it has been updated to use Visual Studio 2003 and ASP.NET 1.1
- it logs errors to a file and does not use the EventLog
- it has been changed to run as the virtual root, which is needed if you'll deploy to an inexpensive hosted website
- it has it's own database creation procedures that use only SQL files
- you can setup the database using the free MSDE or a full version of SQL Server 2000
- it has a summary of changes and detailed step-by-step setup instructions
- I assume you are generally familiar with IIS, ASP.NET, and SQL Server. The instructions will NOT teach you these basic items.
Of course, these files are given out "as is". It's your responsibility to properly use the files and change them to meet your needs. Further, only owners of the book "ASP.NET Website Programming" are legally entitled to use these files.
I do not work for Wiley/Wrox Press as a support person, and I can only offer a limited amount of support. You should not count on me being able to fix all your problems [:-)]
You can download the project here:
Good Luck - this should get you going! Or, if you're already going, you should probably check into the security fixes given here. I've mentioned the security issues here before, and I don't want to keep hitting on this, but I consider the security holes in the original project to be serious and fixing the holes should be everyone's first order-of-business.
I have not done a complete review of the VB
.NET version, but I've noticed that it fixed some of the bugs, but not all of them. I simply don't have enough time to back-port my changes to the VB
.NET code at this time. Please check ThePhileII-changes.txt to see if you may need to make some of the changes to the VB
By the way, this is not my absolute newest version. I changed a lot of foldernames and reorganized files in the version I have at my website, so this won't be an axact match of my website. I don't want to get too far from the book in the files I give out, so I think you'll find this to be a happy medium.