Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to ameg
Default Login failed for user 'sa'

I have 3 Virtual directories in my IIS, two are working fine. The one that brought home from work to work on gave me the Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80040E4D)
Login failed for user 'sa'.
/_Devel/login.asp, line 5
I am clueless. Please help
Alexis
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Alexis,

(I'll answer here, instead of replying to your personal message, if you don't mind).
How did you set up SQL Server? Is it using Mixed Authentication, or Windows only authentication? You can check that on the Properties dialog for SQL Server in the Enterprise Manager.

The error you get makes me think that SQL Server is using Windows Authentication, but that your connection string in your ASP page is using the SA account, and is not using Integrated Security / a Trusted Connection.

If that is the case, either switch the security model for SQL Server to SQL Server Authentication (IMO, not recommended), or change your connection string so it uses a trusted connection. Take a look here for ideas on connection strings:

http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/...erForSQLServer

and search this forum (or Google) for "Login failed for user sa" for much more background on this problem. It has been reported many many times, so you can find quite a lot of information and fixes in the archives of this forum.

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks Imar,
I need to clarify myself more about the issue:
I have 3 DB(s) running at home right now.
2 of which are my own developing.
I also have one separate DB at work that I developed _ It worked fine at work at this point.
My Home machine had only MSDE installed.
However backup work's DB and moved it to home machine. And after that I installed SQL 2K (Client Side only) in to the home machine.
My other 2 home DBs are still up and running fine. But the work's DB.
Further more, I have no problem attach work's DB using Query Analyzer.

EM properties has set to Mix Mode. I think you are right about the connection string. I'll check on that and may be trying the switch the security model for SQL Server to SQL Server Authentication as you suggested at later time today.
Thanks again.
I'll post the result here later.

Alexis

Old April 5th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

In that case, check the password for the SA account. Maybe your home server uses a blank password, and the work application used an SA account *with* a password.

In either case, it's not recommended to a) use the SA account and b) use a blank password.
If I were you, I'd create a separate user with just enough privileges (either a SQL user or a Windows user) and use that account to connect to the database.

Just a thought....

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Dear Imar,
You are an expert _ I reasigned PW for SA to the same as windows PW _ Problem solved.
I got log in work's DB perfectly.
I know you are not recommended the SA account but I needed to learn more on the Security issue before I could going further.
I'll put the note to this and doing more research.
Thanks so much Imar.
I was not wrong about your expertise after all.. :-))

Old April 6th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Wrox Author

Right. That sounds a bit like the pilot of the Boeing 747 I am in saying: "We'll figure that landing part out later, first we gotta focus on flying".... ;)

IMO, security is a structural part of an application, not something you add on later. In learning, you may postpone it until after you understand some other important concepts, but it's never too early to start understanding security, and to follow good security practice, like not using the SA account.

Cheers,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars