Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to mweining
Default Chapter 15 problems

Hello,

I am working through the Wrox Classified application and have found that I can not get the Login.asp (or CheckLogin.asp) script to work.

I am writing the code from the book, but have also downloaded the code from the site to test and debug.

Both sets of code will not allow login. I have registered as a new user, checked the database and found all of the information, but when I run Login.asp, it goes to CheckLogin.asp and will not complete. It acts as though it is stuck in a loop or something. After about five minutes, I get "Server cannot be found"

Any suggestions?

Old July 9th, 2003, 03:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to mweining

did anyone else have this problem?

Old August 18th, 2003, 07:19 PM

Yes, I have had similar problems with the code in the book, in addition, I have corrected "login.asp" according to the Errata sheet. Finally, I downloaded the code and tried that. Nothing seems to work. The code may just be sloppy, I don't know.

I keep on getting this error:

Error Type:
Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E09)
Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.
/WROX_ASP/chap15_DL/AddUser.asp, line 13

My database is not read-only. I have checked out most of the IIS settings, everything seems to be configured properly.

Old September 4th, 2003, 09:22 AM

There are two possibilities:
1. Your Connection string
2. or your database
1. If you create a *.udl file and copy it into your program and misname the database in the *.udl file you will get access errors. Even if you correct it the database it may remember the previous name. You may have to recreate the database or copy a clean file and start over. Then recreate the *.udl file.

2. If you are using MSSQL Database you will have to delete it and start over again. Or you may have to reinstall MSSQL all over again because you set it up to be opened only by you.

I am remembering my frustrations when I set up MSSQL a year or two earlier. I am sorry I can't tell you exactly what I did to get it right.

I hope this will help, good luck.

Richard J. Airhart
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:41 AM

asp_goombah,

Did you have your database open on your desktop in MSAccess, at the same time you queried the page usign your browser?

If I remember correctly, openning the DB in MSAccess LOCKS the DB file, and so the ADO code in your ASP page perceives the DB to be read-only. Close your MSAccess application, and try requesting the page again.

HTH

Ian Nutt

Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:59 AM

I too am having the same problem with the "database is read only" error. I have followed the helpful instructions some of you have given but to no avail. Is there no way of rectifying this?

Please help me someone out there...........

Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

This problem may be caused by the fact that the Web server (the IUSR_MachineName account) does not have sufficient permissions to alter the database and the folder it resides in.

Make sure that the NTFS permissions for the IUSR_MachineName account include read and write / change rights to both the .mdb file and the folder where you put your database (e.g. c:\Databases)

HtH,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:08 PM

Sorry Imar, don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how do i make sure that the NTFS permissions for the IUSR_MachineName account include read and write / change rights to both the .mdb file and the folder where i put my database.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:21 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

No need to feel like an idiot when you don't know stuff.... I am sure there are other occasions more suitable for that ;) Just kidding

Here's what you need to do:

1. Open a Windows Explorer
2. Locate your database folder
3. Right-click that folder and choose Properties
4. Open the Security tab
5. If necessary, click the Add button and locate the IUSR_MachineName account (where MachineName is the name of your machine).
6. Back in the Database properties dialog, selected the IUSR account and make sure it has Read and Change rights.

If you're running Windows XP Professional and you don't see a security tab, do this:

1. Open a Windows Explorer
2. Choose Folder Tools | Options
3. Switch to the View tab
4.Scroll down the list and disable Use simple file sharing (recommended).

Although Microsoft recommends using simple sharing (easy to administrate), in your case you may need it.

Depending on your Windows version and language, things may be called a bit different, but this is the general idea......

Were you able to fix your other problem with Chapter 15??

HtH,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old March 19th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Authorized User

Hi there,

Just thought I'd tell you how I solved the problem I had with the error message: Cannot update. Database or object is read-only.

I'm using Windows XP Professional, and I tried the solution Imar suggested before. That is, I opened windows explorer, pulled down the 'Tools' menu and clicked on 'Folder Options.' I then clicked on the view tab, and disabled the 'simple file sharing (recommended)' option. Then I right-clicked on my C:\Datastores folder, and clicked on 'Properties.' Now I could see the Security tab, and so I clicked on it.

The only problem I had was that there was no IUSR_MachineName account on the list, and clicking on the Add button didn't help me in finding it either. Instead I tried choosing the 'Users (MachineName\Users)' account, and checked the 'Modify' checkbox below.

In my desperation (before I found the solution) I tried right-clicking on the folder in which the Access database can be found, and chose Properties. Then I tried unchecking the 'Read-only' checkbox in the 'General' tab. After clicking on either the 'Ok' or 'Apply' buttons the bloody folder just went back to being bloody 'Read-only' again. Now THAT was making me angry, because I really thought that was the cause of my problems. Now I know better. Oh yes, NOW I KNOW BETTER! :-)

So there, now it works for me (after 3 days of ripping my hair out). Thanks for the help you provided Imar.

Erik

Wisdom on the internet? How rare!