Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Default ADO Stream/CopyRecord failure

I have a series of problems:

1) objRecord.Open Filename, URL1, Mode,, Options, UserName1, Password1
   objRecord.CopyRecord "", URL2, UserName2, Password2
In this case, the line 1 works and line 2 causes "Server cannot complete the operation" error. I checked the write checkbox of the virtual directory, file folder's security box, etc. but the result is the same.

2) objRecord.Open Filename, URL1, Mode,, Options, UserName1, Password1
   objStream.Open objRecord ,,adOpenStreamFromRecord
In this case, the line 1 works and line 2 cuases "Unspecified error"

3) objRecord.Open Filename, URL1, Mode,, Options, UserName1, Password1
   objStream.Open URL1, Mode, Oprions, 8, UserName1, Password1
In this case, the line 1 works and line 2 causes "Permission denied"

4) objRecord.Open Filename, URL1, Mode,, Options, UserName1, Password1
   objStream.Open
   objStream.LoadFromFile Filename
In this case, it works.

So, method 4) is ok, as long as I get a file from a computer in the same private network. However, I cannot get a file from a computer in remote location even if it is connected by VPN. I assume methods 1) to 3) should be used for getting a file from a remote computer. I tried many user name permission combinations but no success. The ASP server is in a Workgroup and the file exists in a server within another Domain. Any help is appreciated.
ken

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi there,

What is there in URL1 and URL2? Also check if the required permissions to those files are already applied for the IUSR_YOURCOMPUTERNAME account(on system that is running IIS).

Cheers!

Old July 15th, 2004, 09:52 PM

Thanks Vijay for your response.

URL1 is "URL=http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Folder" for objRecord statement and "URL=http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Folder/data.txt" for objStream statement, where xxx... is the IP address for the remote server. URL2 is "http://www.yyy.com/Folder" where yyy.com is the domain for the ASP server (self). I included IUSR_MYCOMPUTERNAME account for permission for the folder of the remote server but the result was the same. Actually, when incorrect username/password is used in the ASP code or incorrect permission is set at the remote server, the line 1 gives permission denied. So I am really puzzled why the line 1 always works with correct username/password and given permission and line 2 (or objStream open, etc.) never works with the same arrangement.
Thanks for your continuing attention.

Ken

Old July 18th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Ken,

You may take a look at this thread which was posted long back here in this forum. Server cannot complete operation

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Old July 18th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Vijay,

Thank you so much for valuable suggestions. I tried all of the permission setups that your referenced thread suggested, with the same result. However, the same thread also suggested an xml which actually did the job! I spent so much time with ADO but XML is such a breeze. Anyone who has problems with ADO should try reading this: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2173

Vijay, I do not feel 100% comfortable because of the ADO/Stream and permission mystery, but thanks to you I can move on. Much appreciated.

Ken