Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Default text formatting question

getting my feet wet with .asp and have some questions.

when defining a site or creating a new .asp page in dreamweaver, what is the difference between:
asp javascript
asp vbscript

i've set up a basic cms system for writing to the d/b and am able to display the results on a page, but am having trouble formatting the output. For instance, Dreamweaver writes the following code:

<p><%=(GetNews.Fields.Item("PR_Story").Value)%> </p>

The text is stored in the d/b as multiple paragraphs, but the page is displaying as a single paragraph.

The code displayed in this book doesn't look anything like that written by Dreamweaver. The use of Response.Write to format output is discussed in Chapter 3, yet DW does not use that block of code.

Am running DW MX 2004 / Access / XPPro.

Any ideas?

david

p.s. all my programming experience to date has been with c/f. asp is greek to moi
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Friend of Wrox

Then you should be referring some DW related book that helps you code ASP pages.

Javascript - client-side programming language used in ASP pages.
VBScript - Server-side Programming language used in ASP pages.

Response.write is equivalant to <%= %>
Code:
Dim strVar

strVar="Show me on the page."

Response.Write strVar
' is same as the code that follows this.
<%=strVar%>
<% ...VBScript code... %> is called asp tag that can contain any VBScript code into it.

Hope that explains.
Cheers!