Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 1st, 2003, 01:11 AM

Default Chapter 14, Advanced Data Handling Techniques

Hi all :),
I am in need of some help ! I am following the examples outlined on pages 612 through 626. These coding examples are explaining the use of manipulating data in a non-database data store. The code being used is listed below, of course I substitute my_server_name with the correct server name that I use:

<% Option Explicit %>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0">
<TITLE>Retrieving Semi-structured Data</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgCOLOR=wheat>
<%
    Dim objNodeRecord, objNodeField
    SET objNodeRecord=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Record")
    objNodeRecord.Open "","URL=http://my_server_name/BegASP/"
    Response.Write "<H2>Properties of the folder:</H2>"
    Response.Write "<Table Boarder ='1'>"
    For Each objNodeField in objNodeRecord.Fields
            Response.Write "<TR>" & _
            "<TD>" & objNodeField.Name & "</TD>" & _
            "<TD>" & objNodeField.Value & "</TD>" & _
            "</TR>"
    Next
    Response.Write "</TABLE>"
    objNodeRecord.Close
    Set objNodeRecord = Nothing
%>
</BODY>
</HTML>

At line number 11, I am getting the error listed below:

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Internet Publishing (0x80004005)
Unspecified error
/begasp/record.asp, line 11

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Page:
GET /begasp/record.asp

Time:
Sunday, November 30, 2003, 11:43:34 PM

More information:
Microsoft Support

I am using W2K Pro, with IIS 5.0 and IE 6.0
As can be seen, the reported error leaves many questions in ones mind. I have tried using the code as downloaded from the WROX web site with the same results. As far as I can tell the code is correct. I have tried for several days to find the cause of this error. As the book says, setting up permissions for this type of activity is not always easy to set up. I guess that is where I am making my mistake. I have tried to set up the permissions in every way possible, however, I am missing something. Can anybody help me?? If you see an error in the code, please tell me, if not, and you believe as I do, it is in the permissions for either the server or the files, help me set the correct permissions. I am a newbie lost in the woods, and the wolves are nipping at my heels. :(

ou812

Old January 20th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Authorized User

You may be facing problem because of your security permissions. Please provide complete permissions to the following accounts on the folder contains record.asp.

Administrator account

IUSR_MACHINENAME account

If you are logging with any other user then administrator, then include that user account also in the above list.

Jennifer D. Taylor
Wiley Technical Support

Old May 12th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Hi,
I am also having the same problem with the exercise.
The administrator account has full access to the folder that contains record.asp.
The IUSR_MACHINENAME account has read access to the folder containing record.asp. I tried to give it modify rights, but that did not work either. If you could offer an help i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
rusty

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Hello,

I am facing the same problem as above and I don't think I have any restrictions to my computer, only a FIRE WALL, please be more especific about the problem, up to this section in this chapter everything worked fine, what may be wrong??

Now let me tell you, I change my default web site from Inetpub to a folder, it looks like this -->

C:\web_sites\

inside of that folder I have another folder with another folder where I kept all the chapters for the book like this:

testing_ASP\chapter_(14)

to get to the Record.asp file you would have to go this way: -->

C:\web_sites\testing_ASP\chapter_(14)\Record.asp

when I test my ASP samples this is where I save them, so web_sites would act as my localhost.

Also my computer (C) is called REM-CLU.

Should I replace the code like this??:

objNodeRecord.Open "", & _
"URL=http://REM-CLU/web_sites/"

in order to make it work??

Please help me, I am stuck and can move forward without solving this problem first.