Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 12th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Default New to ASP

I have no programming background. I ordered Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0 to learn more about ASP and as a steppingstone to ASP.NET.

My main interest is in learning how to schedule data to appear for predetermined time periods from various sites that I design. After the time has passed I want the page to automatically revert to whatever was there before the predetermined starting time or, possibly, start a new "special".

For example, a "daily special" five, six or seven days a week for a restaurant or a "weekend special" for a retailer, a "weekly special" and so on. All data would be placed in tables with both text and photos/graphics.

These sites are not ecommerce and therefore I don't need price, sales tax or shipping computations. I do need to be able to change the data as quickly and effortlessly as possible though. I use FrontPage 2003 for design purposes with an ASP hosting company.

It is important that I get started on the right track by deciding 1. The correct db to use and 2. whether one large db can be used for many small sites, or if some sort of ease and efficiency is gained by using one small db per site.

In addition to Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0 do you think I should buy Beginning ASP Databsases or do you think Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0 is enough? Thank you.

Frank M.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Friend of Wrox

ASP is not a stepping stone to ASP.NET. You need to start with ASP.NET if you are attempting to learn it. You can accomplish the task with either language.

Old February 12th, 2004, 02:50 PM

You said, " You can accomplish the task with either language."
Currently I don't know any (programming) languages. Please be more explicit. Thanks.

Frank M.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Authorized User

For your needs Beginning ASP will work just fine. If you have a rudimentary understanding of Database design the ASP for your site should be relatively easy.

You'll find the book relatively easy to use.

John

Old February 12th, 2004, 03:39 PM

OK. Thanks for your reply.

Frank M.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Friend of Wrox

ASP will be easier to learn if you don't know any programming languages.

If you were eventually wanting to learn ASP.NET I would recommend to start today. :)

Old February 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM

You said, "If you were eventually wanting to learn ASP.NET I would recommend to start today." I thought that to learn ASP.NET, first I would have to learn ASP.

I design small sites that are part and parcel of larger ones and I have to learn how to make the small sites more interactive. (Please see my original post). How would ASP.NET fit into that framework? Is ASP.NET just very different from ASP?

I'm sorry to be so ignorant of ASP in general, but I really do want to learn as much as I can about both ASP & ASP.NET. Thanks.

Frank M.
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

ASP.NET is very different than ASP. It takes a different approach to almost everything. You no longer use VBScript with ASP.NET and connections to a database are handled differently just to name a couple.

ASP will get the job done but I recommend ASP.NET. -Just an opinion.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM

y

rah rah rah
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Hi

It doesnt matter, you can do it in either. I have no experience in .net so i dont kno which ones easier. I do know that the Brginning ASP 3.0 book is a good tutorial.

Saying that I should be getting back to it. Nothing learnt is wasted.

good luck.

rah rah rah