Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 with C# by Chris Goode, John Kauffman, Christopher L. Miller, Neil Raybould, S. Srinivasa Sivakumar, Dave Sussman, Ollie Cornes, Rob Birdwell, Matt Butler, Gary Johnson, Ajoy Krishnamoorthy, Juan T. Llibre, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764543708
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old August 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Default Ch01-punctual.aspx

I have the same problem Wendy posted a few months ago, but I don't see an answer to her post.

I am trying to get punctual.aspx to run, but all I see is the html message, not the result of the code (i.e., the system time).

I tried everything suggested in the book, including uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, but nothing works. I also tried to run one of the sample files from www.asp.net (sample 4, I think), but got the same result: everything other than plain html tags was ignored.

I am running Windows XP Pro, and have downloaded and installed the .NET Framwork 1.1 and the SDK, as well as MDAC 2.7. There is also a program on my computer called Borland C# Builder, and I notice that my "aspx" files are interpreted by the computer as "Borland C# Builder aspx files" -- i.e., that's the description given beneath their icons.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yitzchok

Old August 12th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Actually, I just found the answer in the post of "digitaltoddy," dated 9-19-04 and headed, "New to ASP.NET w/C# and having problems."

I did what "stu9820" suggested there, and it worked!

Specifically, I opened a command window (the details of how to do all this are in the 9-19-04 post), navigated to the directory of the Aspnet_regiis.exe version corresponding to my version of the .NET Framework (which is 1.1.4322), and typed "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" . Apparently, this installs ASP.NET, which must not have been installed before, despite my having downloaded it and run the setup wizard and all that.

Everything works fine now, thank G-d. What a thrill! And thanks to stu9820 for the answer, and to Wrox for this valuable forum.

By the way, does anyone know why ASP.NET hadn't installed the first time? It seems from browsing other people's problems that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

Well, thanks again, all, and best regards.

--Yitzchok

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Go here:
http://www.asp.net/faq/SideBySide.aspx

Follow the instructions (pictures are a real help).
Assuming you've already installed :

dotnetfx.exe
mda 2.7

Go to your dos prompt and , again , just follow the pictorial guide from the site. I had the same problem, and this worked.

One more thing: don't put your .aspx in a folder like "My Documents"
or anything where there's a space in the words. It will give you an error, as I found out when you try to run a .aspx file. Just remember - One word directories and folders or ones joined by "_" like "my_files"

Please spread the word about the site, it will be helpful to others with the same prob.
http://www.asp.net/faq/SideBySide.aspx