Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old May 25th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

OK, the author is working through some of the other items in this thread and I hope to have answers for you in a few days. I'll see if he can provide a version of the DB with more records in that table.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!

Old June 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Wrox Staff

Thanks to Dave Sussman for providing some answers to VictorVictor's original issues even though Dave didn't write this chapter. I've left out addressing things that aren't actual errors. The questions and answers addressed are below. I'll get them all added to the errata page too.

Also, on the database, Dave has provided a new chapter 7 start database with several rows, even though each row has the same picture. I'll get this posted but if you want it immediately, email me at jminatel@wrox.com and I'll send it to you. It's only about 460kb.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VictorVictor
 So many typos, so many mistakes, leading the novice into time-eating oblivion.

(2) Ch. 7, page 218. Try It Out Line 2. Sentence "Open the smart task..." is repeated in the first sentence of Line 3.
We'll delete the final sentence of step 2.

Quote:
quote:(3) Ch. 7, page 222. Try It Out Line 4. It says to "give it the name WroxUnited..." and refers the reader to Figure 7-10. That figure shows name "WroxUnitedConnectionString".
We'll fix it to say “give it the name WroxUnitedConnectionString” to match the figure.

Quote:
quote:(4) Ch. 7, page 222. Try It Out Line 4. Greyed out code shows <add name="WroxUnited" ...
But if you check the web.config file it shows "WroxUnitedConnectionString".
We'll make the same fix.

Quote:
quote:(6) Ch. 7, page 229. Line 11. Author's should inform reader that the second line ("actions: Eliminate...") may NOT show the DataSourceID value of SqlDataSource1 because previous work may have used that. It could be SqlDataSource2,3,... depending upon how much confusion and rework the reader has already been through. Authors need to make that clear.
(DataSource is a property but cannot be set at design time) so this should just say “Change the value for the DataSourceID property to SqlDataSource1”

Quote:
quote:(8) Ch. 7, page 237. Try It Out Line 1. It is totally confusing to reference the MatchImages folder on the 4th line and then reference on the 6th line an "Images" folder and then on page 239 Grey out under Line 8, refer to "MatchImages" again.
References to an “Images” folder should be “MatchImages”

Quote:
quote:(9) Ch. 7, page 238. Try It Out Line 7. The id of the asp:Image is "PictureImage". How did that get there? "PictureImage" is also in the grey out under Line 8. The default id is "Image1".
Yes, the id value should really be “Image1”

Jim Minatel
WROX Press

Old June 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Wrox Staff

The new version of the chapter 7 start database is now posted as a separate download at:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...load_code.html

Jim Minatel
WROX Press

Old June 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Friend of Wrox

Jim:

Thanks for persisting on the issue of improving Chapter 7. No one likes to return to an old app (the book) and work on it; but that is what you have made happen here and I'm sure future readers will appreciate it.

I made many notes as I went through this book and put them into a folder. Eventually I'll remember it all and not need them.

I also purchased Richard York's book, Beginning CSS for Web Design which I studied cover to cover. York's book is indispensible to designing a professional looking website.

I also purchased Evjen's & ... book, Professional ASP.NET 2.0 which builds on and expands many of the topics in the Beginning Book.

With my notes and the books, I am able to proceed with the design and development of a large website.

Thanks again.

VV

Old August 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Authorized User

The link you have for the new files is it a fix for “Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 with C# - Chapter07”? If not were can I find the new files for “Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 with C# - Chapter07” and when will the corrections to the hard copy be posted on “Errata”?

Old August 31st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Wrox Staff

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbroom
 The link you have for the new files is it a fix for “Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 with C# - Chapter07”? If not were can I find the new files for “Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 with C# - Chapter07”

The ch 7 new DB files are language-independent so the files posted on the VB page will work with C# too.

Quote:
quote:and when will the corrections to the hard copy be posted on “Errata”?
I could be misunderstanding your question but all of the items that I responded to on 6/7 are posted on the errata page for the VB version. All of those items are actually already correct in the C# version so no errata listings are needed for them on C#. The ONLY exception to that is that Dave and I are discussing the exact wording of the change for page 229 step 11 vb which is page 222 step 10 C#. That change wasn't made in C# and we're discussing the best wording for both.

Jim Minatel
WROX Press

Old September 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Authorized User

my comment was more to the refural of topic "Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 with C# - Chapter07" that i posted on - 08/30/2006

Old September 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM
Wrox Staff

I can't tell you when answers to your 8/30 post would be posted to the errata page. The first thing that has to happen before that is that one of the book authors will go through your issues and vet them and see if they are even book errors. Many things that get posted in these forums turn out not to be book errors.

Jim Minatel
WROX Press

Old September 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM
Friend of Wrox

TBroom and Jim Minatel:

I'm not sure since I only have one of the two books I am going to mention below, but
my original comments on Chapter 7 referred to book: "Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 (with ISBN:
 10 0 7645 8850 8). My understanding is that TBroom was referring to a similar Wrox book with the nearly same title, but for C#. That would necessarily be a book with a different ISBN number. TBroom, you could check to see which book you have.

Jim is right in that any sql queries would be independent of the programming language used in the app. As far as the specifics I was complaining about, they refered strictly to the ISBN above. I believe I have seen mention by Jim that the author(s) spent considerable effort to correct the discrepancies I mentioned, as well as some others found by other folks.

Good Luck TBroom and thanks Jim for keeping after this issue.

Victor Victor

Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:53 PM

Book Beg ASP.NET 2.0 VB Ed2006 - Chapter 7
-------------------------------

Well 1st of all many thanks to victorvictor for pointing out the errata till page 239.
It has been smooth cruising because of you till page 239.

And in reply to the topic of this thread i will say... say that again a million times..

Ok now to my fury...
I somehow fought my way thru to page 253. Here i got stuck bad.
I will have to say... Did the writer ask his/her plumber to write this 'try it out'?

Everything is fine till step 6.
At Page 253, Step 7 the author asks to copy gallery-all.asps to gallery.aspx. He forgets that at Page 237, Step 1, Line 1 he has already made the user create a gallery.aspx. Please change this to '[u]replace</u> the file gallery.aspx'

At Page 255, Step 9, Line 1 there is no 'DataSourceControl1' but a 'SQLDataSource1' as created in earlier try it outs.

Now the biggest problem.. The code that is on Pages 255 thru 257 is completely off the chart and [u]WRONG!!!</u>
It shows controls like Gridview and Detailsview which [u]do not exist</u> on this page 'gallery.aspx'

The correct code should be similer to

"<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/site.master" AutoEventWireup="false"
         CodeFile="Gallery.aspx.vb" Inherits="Gallery" title="Untitled Page" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent" Runat="Server">
    <asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server"
            AutoPostBack="True" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource3"
            DataTextField="FixtureCombo" DataValueField="FixtureID">
    </asp:DropDownList>
    <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource3" runat="server"
        ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:WroxUnited %>"
        SelectCommand="SELECT [FixtureID], (Opponents + ' - ' + CONVERT(varchar,
        FixtureDate, 6)) As FixtureCombo FROM [Fixtures] ORDER BY [FixtureDate]">
    </asp:SqlDataSource>
    <br />

<asp:DataList ID="DataList1" runat="server" DataKeyField="PictureID"
        DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" RepeatColumns="3" RepeatDirection="Horizontal">
        <ItemTemplate>
            FixtureID:
            <asp:Label ID="FixtureIDLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("FixtureID") %>' />
            <br />
            <asp:Image ID="Image1" runat="server" ImageUrl='<%# Eval("PictureURL", "~/Images/{0}") %>' />
            <br />
            <asp:Label ID="NotesLabel" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Notes") %>' /><br />
            Uploaded By Our Member:
            <asp:Label ID="UploadedByMemberNameLabel" runat="server"
            Text='<%# Eval("UploadedByMemberName") %>' /><br />
            <br />
            &nbsp;
        </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:DataList><asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server"
    ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:WroxUnited %>"
        SelectCommand="SELECT [PictureID], [FixtureID], [UploadedByMemberName],
        [Notes], [PictureURL] FROM [Gallery] WHERE ([FixtureID] = @FixtureID)">
        <SelectParameters>
            <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DropDownList1" DefaultValue="1" Name="FixtureID"
                PropertyName="SelectedValue" Type="Int32" />
        </SelectParameters>
    </asp:SqlDataSource>
</asp:Content>
"
NOTE: This code is after executing step 10 on page 257.

And about the Screenshots. i wont even comment. they are completely out of sync.

------------------------------------------

Issue about the errata mentioned on this books' errata webpage and as pointed out by victor
"
WroxUnited

should be:
WroxUnitedConnectionString

should be:
WroxUnited

should be:

This is wrong. If u change the name of the connection string to 'WroxUnitedConnectionString' the whole chapter goes out of sync. A lot of places after this page use the conneciton string 'WroxUnited' as written correctly in the book but presently considered errata.

[u]The error is in the screenshot(Figure 7-10) on the same page</u>. It should show 'WroxUnited' insted of 'WroxUnitedConnectionString' in the textbox. That would clear all the above errata in errata.
---------------------------------

Issue related to the below errata on errata webpage of this book

should be:
folder named MatchImages

The book is correct(although the language is complicated in this step) and u just put in the errara without checking? [u]How in-different can u get after digesting the readers money?</u>

There is a reference to the Images folder but it is not errata though completely unncecessary to the context. If at all u should have deleted the last sentence completely of step 1 on page 237.
----------------------------------

In the end I would like to say that may be the information above is incorrect in some or the other manner. So insted of just marking the errata please check thoroughly. There are many more of these DAMN errata but I do not have the time or energy to do the editors'/writer's work. I hope u forward this post in its completeness to the concerned people, and learn something on the way.

Regards
Vaibhav Garg

PS: Wrox should provide a updated pdf file for this chapter because there are too many errors. It would help future readers [u]very</u> much.