Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Default Ch04 TIO Pg 111 Error

When I click the the Administration link, I get the below error:
"An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again." The error message does not help with the problme

If I do the same thing for CH04 in the End folder, I DO NOT get the error.

If I delete CH04 in Begin and then copy all the files in Ch04 end to Ch04 begin and click the Administration link, I still get the error.

Any idea of what could be wrong.

Thanks,

Larry

Old February 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hey,

What is the code?

Brian
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:03 AM

Brian, the code was entered per the book and I was trying to use the Web Admin tool to add the users and I would get the error messsage when I clicked in the tool. The tool would not open and I would see the error message.

If I created a new web site and that let VWD create the files and create a default.aspx file and then I tried WAT, I would get the error message.

If I opened chapter 04 in the END folder and tried WAT, I would not get the error and could use WAT.

If I copied chapter 04 to an empty folder in the BEGIN section and tried to use WAT would error.

I don't understand why it would work in the END folder and not in the Begin folder. I even gave Network_server full control on the App_data folder.

I am spending too much time trying to fix this problem. I think I'll uninstall VWD abd SQL2005 Express.

Sometimes computers give me the opportunity to learn new things.

Larry

Old February 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Wrox Author

Hi,
    This one's a hard one for me to comment on as I didn't write this chapter. However I'm not seeing a Begin Folder in the downloaded code for the Chapter 04.zip (is there one in the whole code download?). I'm wondering if Chris removed it from the folder because there was some problem with it. She's on maternity leave atm so kinda hard to contact.

Anyway the Begin folder is largely superfluous for this chapter. Assuming you're using Cassini/ASp.NET development Web server and NOT IIS, then I'd suggest you just ignore it and just create a new web site called chapter4 yourself and take the Try It Outs (TIO) from the beginning, ignoring step 1. I've just done this and the TIO works fine.

The reason we had the Begin folder is that in some chapters we use specific versions of the WroxUnited site and the Begin folder has the db stuff already setup for you. I realise the last TIO in chapter 4 does reference a WroxUnited version in this chapter, however you should be able to run the last TIO in the chapter using the WroxUnited app, and just disabling the roles that are enabled first.

As for the problem, it's not a problem with the code, but either the setup in the code download or with ASP.NET 2.0 itself. I'd say it's some sort of permissions issue with ASP.NET 2.0. The best way to circumvent the issue is by creating a new web site and doing the Try It Out this way, ASP.NEt 2.0 should set up the new site correctly, and the Administer Website link should just work.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Ullman
Programmer/Technical Author
http://www.cuasp.co.uk
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Problem solved.

I removed and installed VWD and SQL2005 express and related programs. But, this did not help.

I search Internet for possible answers. No help.

After reading Chris's response, I thought about creating a new web site, but this time in the END folder and not the folder I had been using. The Web Site Administration Tool would open with no error.

As I am working thru this book using C#, I created a Folder named Begin C# and I created all my TIO code in this folder.

The naming of the folder was the problem. If I change the name from "Begin C#" to "Begin CSharp" the ASp.Net Site Administration Tool now works.

Sometimes the simply things are the problem.

Larry