Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default Unable to implement EMail as per Ch. 15

In Ch 15 on p.580, Mailing exceptions. I took the time and effort to try to get this working in Ch 15's app under development but have been unsuccessful.

Anyone out there able to get this working?

Alternatives I have tried:

1) I entered code for the web.config file exactly as the book has it from the grey areas of code on pages 580 and 581. (in the code from p 581, of course I used my own values for email "host", "password", "username", and "from" values.)

Note that this means adding the xmlns value on the <configuration> tag just as the book specfies. When I try to run, I get 76 error messages complaining that "Could not find schema information...

2) Same as above, but in the web.config <confguration> tag, I omitted the xmlns reference and just used <configuration>, as the book has been using right along.
When I try to run, I get a complaint that System.net has invalid child element mailsettings.

3) Also, I note that the web.config supplied by the book has a section commented out as follows in the <system.web> section (Note: .web and not .net):

<!--
        Define the SMTP Mail server settings
        Required for the PasswordRecovery control (and possibly mailshots)
        <smtpMail from="admin@wroxunited.com" serverName="your_smtp_server">
            <fields>
            </fields>
        </smtpMail>
    -->

There is no explanation in the book on whether to use this or not and with what xmlns namespace to use in the <configuration> section. Or which, or both to use <system.web> or <system.net>

So what it boils down to is that the book 'as is' does not work and I can't find a reasonable fix up that will work either. All pretty confusing. Help anyone. Thanks,

VV

Old February 26th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Friend of Wrox

Forgot to mention that I tried using the Web Configuration Tool with the same
failure as 1)... 76 errors.
VV

Old February 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Friend of Wrox

After messing with this for two days I have got email to work.

It just boils down to removing the "from" attribute from the grey code block
at the top of page 581. Not knowing that that simple removal was the culprit,
I wasted two days with other alternatives -- all to no avail.

VV