Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old August 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to Jim Buchan
Default Site Deployment

Wow! Why didn't I look to this forum first. I've been tearing my hair out trying to solve a problem and I belive the answer lies here although I am perhaps too ignorant to see it. If the answer to this question is already here please excuse my failure to understand what I am reading. Anyway to the question: I have deployed my Church web site to my GoDaddy.com host. Currently it is in a folder off of the root by itself for testing purposes and I would like to take it live. I am getting an error message that points to the line in the web config roleManager enabeled = "true". I suspect the issue is in the connection to my database MDF which is deployed in the appdata folder. In chapter 16 you discuss changes to the connection string required which make sense although individual page datasources may yet bite me once I get past the other problems. I am including a copy of the web config in the hopes that someone can point out the errors. I really appreciate someone looking at this! Thanks in advance. Here is the web config:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    <connectionStrings>
    <!--LOCALHOST
    <add name="ASPNETDBConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=&quot;E:\My Documents\My Webs\BransonUMC06\App_Data\ASPNETDB.MDF&quot;;Inte grated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True"
   providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  -->

<add name="ASPNETDBConnectionString" connectionString="Server=connection string provided by GoDaddy;
    Database=GoDaddyDB;
    User ID=**********;
    Password=*********;
    Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="
    Server=connection string provided by GoDaddy;
    Database=**********;
    User ID=**********;
    Password=**********;
    Trusted_Connection=False" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</connectionStrings>

<system.web>
    <roleManager enabled="true"/> This is where the error is thrown
    <authentication mode="Forms"/>
    <compilation debug="false"/>

<membership>
      <providers>

<remove name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" />
        <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
             type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
             connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"
             minRequiredPasswordLength="5"
             minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
             passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""/>
      </providers>
    </membership>

<siteMap defaultProvider="XmlSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
      <providers>
        <add name="XmlSiteMapProvider"
             description="Default SiteMap provider."
             type="System.Web.XmlSiteMapProvider "
             siteMapFile="Web.sitemap"
             securityTrimmingEnabled="true" />
      </providers>
    </siteMap>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>
</configuration>

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!

Old August 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to Jim Buchan

It Works! The site is up and running thanks to Imar and various other blogs and such. SQL 2K deployment does work. Later...