Using the Try It Out on p249 as a base here to demo,
- Create the label control called FixtureDateLabel
- Run through steps 1 to 3 of the try it out
- In step 4, choose FixtureDate as the column, Control as the source in the left hand column, then FixtureDateLabel as the ControlID on the right. You can leave the default value blank.
At this point, you have the select statement getting information that is dependent upon the Date entered in FixtureDateLabel. And to go any further you have to do a little hand coding. Reading Chapter 9 here might give you a better idea of why its working.
- The code in Page_Load() of fixtures.aspx in the final version of WroxUnited deletes the select statement you generated earlier so that we can generate it dynamically based on today's date and whether or not you're trying to display past or future dates.
- It also sets the Text property of FixtureDateLabel to the current date to give the SELECT statement a date to work with.
So I'm afraid there isn't a way to generate the whole final page with just drag and drop, but I hope you can see that it's not too difficult to achieve with a little bit of code.
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive