Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old December 15th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Default 100% Beginner, Can't get SQL Express connected

Hi,
The book is fantastic. As a pure beginner, I love the format and writing.

But, like many people, i can't get VWD express and SQL 2005 Server Express to work. I'm now on Chap. 3 and can't continue without getting them connected

I've tried to work through the suggestions in the Appendix B, and advice from these forums. But, I don't know the first thing about how to enter a Connection String or anything about database setup. What program do you even use??

Can anyone give me a Step-By-Step for dummies on how to do this?

Sunniest,
Adam

Old December 16th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

I don't have the book, so I don't know what Appendix B is talking about. But I am also unsure what exactly you're asking. Do you have problems installing SQL Server Express? If so, do you get an error? Or do you have problems connecting to it / using it?

Can you elaborate a little bit?

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old December 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Thanks Imar.
When I open the example website as downloaded from Wrox, I get an error when I try to build the site (by pressing f5 on the Default.aspx file).

I think I'm having trouble setting up the database. I downloaded SQL Server Express from Microsoft. But on my machine its called Microsoft SQL Server 2005. So, I'm not even sure if i'm using express or the full SQL 2005.

here's the error I get., any help would be awesome.
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was unhandled by user code.

Message="Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."
  Source=".Net SqlClient Data Provider"
  ErrorCode=-2146232060
  Class=11
  LineNumber=0
  Number=-2
  Procedure=""
  Server=".\\SQLEXPRESS"
  State=0
  StackTrace:
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni Error(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni (DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadPac ket(Int32 bytesExpected)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuf fer()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByt e()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Com pleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(Htt pContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate)
       at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation)
       at System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV aluesFromDatabase(String userName, SettingsPropertyValueCollection svc)
       at System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV alues(SettingsContext sc, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
       at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFro mProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
       at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValue ByName(String propertyName)
       at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetInternal(String propertyName)
       at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
       at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetPropertyValue(St ring propertyName)
       at ProfileCommon.get_Theme() in c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\db8c8f3d\22f4b830\App_Code.mheld-za.7.cs:line 111
       at Wrox.Web.GlobalEvents.ThemeModule.app_PreRequestHa ndlerExecute(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in c:\BegASPNET2\Begin\Chapter03\WroxUnited\app_Code\ ThemeModule.cs:line 20
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep. System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute( )
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Old December 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Wrox Author

The first thing you need to do is establish what version of SQL Server you're running, and what its Instance Name (if any) is.

On your Start Menu for SQL Server you should have an item called "SQL Server Configuration Manager". When you open that, what do you see under SQL Server 2005 Services and SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration? Do you see anything referring to Express?

It's most likely you have Express installed, as it's a free download from the Microsoft site. However, it's important you know this fo sure as it determines the way you refer to your database from code...

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old December 17th, 2006, 05:19 PM

this is the strange part. I tried to download SQL Express from MSFT. But on my configuration manager, in the right hand box, it says: SQL Server 2005 Services,
SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration,
SQL Native Client Configuration

thanks again imar

Old December 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Wrox Author

In that case, I suggest you get a copy of SQL Server Express as well. Many books use it as an example, and it uses a slightly different connection string so you may run into problems when you try existing sample code.

Besides, if you downloaded the full SQL Server version from the Microsoft site, it will expire in some time, while the Express edition remains free.

If you do want to use the full version of SQL Server, take a look at this article: http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=395

But again, when you're new to all of this, I think you're better of using the Express edition as it's much easier to use and understand when you're just starting with it.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars