Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old February 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Authorized User

Default VB GridView & DetailsView

Yesterday I followed the book through Ch7 and managed to complete the exercises. Today I tried to apply some of what I thought I had learned to a web page for a Walking Group. I decided to create a page like the final Fixtures.aspx page, with a selectable GridView control listing walk activities and a DetailsView control to display information for the selected walk.
I prepared an Access database beforehand and added it into App_Data. I added the GridView and DetailsView controls to the page and linked them to the database, but I couldn't get it to work as I wanted. I could only get one record to display in the GridView.
After much fiddling, and re-reading the book, I decided to start from Fixtures.aspx and develop it how I wanted, which is to have 5 or 6 activities listed, with paging controls. But I can't get the GridView to behave, and I can't work out what it is that I've done to the working Fixtures.aspx page.

Here is my code:
Code:
<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/site.master" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Fixtures.aspx.vb" Inherits="Fixtures" title="Untitled Page" %>
<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="MainContent" Runat="Server">
    <asp:gridview ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="EventName,StartDate"
        DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1" EmptyDataText="There are no data records to display." AllowPaging="True">
        <columns>
            <asp:commandfield ShowSelectButton="True" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="EventName" HeaderText="EventName" SortExpression="EventName" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="StartDate" HeaderText="StartDate" SortExpression="StartDate" />
        </columns>
        <pagersettings FirstPageText="Oldest" LastPageText="Newest" Mode="NextPreviousFirstLast"
            Position="TopAndBottom" />
    </asp:gridview>
    <asp:accessdatasource ID="AccessDataSource1" runat="server" DataFile="~/App_Data/EventManagement1.mdb"
        SelectCommand="SELECT [EventName], [StartDate], [EventID] FROM [Events] ORDER BY [StartDate]">
    </asp:accessdatasource>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;
    <asp:detailsview ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource2" Height="50px"
        Width="340px" AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="EventName,StartDate,EventDescription,StartTime,EmployeeID,Travel,WalkDistance,Location">
        <fields>
            <asp:boundfield DataField="EventName" HeaderText="EventName" SortExpression="EventName" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="StartDate" HeaderText="StartDate" SortExpression="StartDate" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="StartTime" HeaderText="StartTime" SortExpression="StartTime" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="EventDescription" HeaderText="EventDescription" SortExpression="EventDescription" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="WalkDistance" HeaderText="WalkDistance" SortExpression="WalkDistance" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="Location" HeaderText="Location" SortExpression="Location" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="Travel" HeaderText="Travel" SortExpression="Travel" />
            <asp:boundfield DataField="EmployeeID" HeaderText="EmployeeID" SortExpression="EmployeeID" />
        </fields>
    </asp:detailsview>
    <asp:accessdatasource ID="AccessDataSource2" runat="server" DataFile="~/App_Data/EventManagement1.mdb"
        SelectCommand="SELECT [EventID], [EventName], [Location], [StartDate], [StartTime], [EventDescription], [EmployeeID], [Travel], [WalkDistance] FROM [Events] WHERE ([EventID] = ?)">
        <selectparameters>
            <asp:controlparameter ControlID="GridView1" DefaultValue="1" Name="EventID" PropertyName="SelectedValue"
                Type="Int32" />
        </selectparameters>
    </asp:accessdatasource>
    &nbsp;
</asp:Content>
Richard
Rugeley, UK
WinXP Pro SP2
VBW Express
VBW Express + SQL Server 2005 Express