Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 16th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Authorized User

Default About displaying data in datalist

Sir,
I am Using book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0...I am building my own website also...I have completed till chapter 12..now I am working with chapter 13-E-commerce...I am able to execute catalog...which is first try it out...
now I want to use this catalog feature in my website for Shopping cart...I have made a database table having one of the column as PictureURL...and I specified a URL of each pic
which I want to upload...But problem is when I bind the ImageButton to my PictureURL...in browser i am not able to see my pics...all pics are jpg and having size max 12kb...

Please help...I am on last step of website..

Old September 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Authorized User

please reply fast..plzzz

Old September 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

I'd say it's fair to give people more than a few minutes to read your message and post a reply. People are here in their own free time helping others; they're not your servant.

That said: you can speed up the process yourself by supplying relevant information and code. There could be a million reasons for this problem. So, tell us

1. What your database looks like

2. How you're binding the ImageButton

3. What the paths of the images in the database are

4. Where you've stored your images.

And so on and so forth. Without this information, you can post a "please reply fast" message every minute without getting a reply at all.....

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old September 17th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Authorized User

Default Sorry..

Respected Imar sir,

I am extremely SORRY for my 'plz reply fast' post...that post came in frustration..frustration of getting being stuck on one error for hours...I don't mean than anybody is servant...you are all genius people..and what we are earning today is because of people like you...and your books, once again extremely sorry...

Actually,I have created database exactly same as in book having feilds
1.ProductID
2.Name
3.Description
4.Price
5.PictureURL

My database named Royal and image folder path is stored at 'E:\Bela_ASP.NET\Royal\ProductImages' in PictureURL I just gave this path with image name like
E:\Bela_ASP.NET\Royal\ProductImages\SportsWatch.jp g

I added a SqlDataSource control and DataList control and attached above table to it , then i replaced PictureURL lable with ImageButton and in ImageButton dataBindings for ImageUrl property I select Custom binding and code is Eval("PictureURL","ProductImages\{0}")
code in aspx is looking like
Code:
 <asp:ImageButton ID="ImageButton1"  runat="server" ImageUrl='<%#Eval("PictureURL","~/ProductImages/{0}") %>'  />
Now when I run the project I am not able to see images but a red cross ...

Sir I found a solution with Bind..I just replace the code
Eval("PictureURL","ProductImages\{0}")
with
Bind("PictureURL","ProductImages\{0}") so in aspx i can see as
Code:
 <asp:ImageButton ID="ImageButton1"  runat="server" ImageUrl='<%#Bind("ImageURL","~/ProductImages/{0}") %>' />
Now I am able to see my pics..but Sir I just want to know is the thing that I have to store image in database??..then only I can use Eval??
and what is exact difference between Eval and Bind??

Once again SoRRy

Last edited by bela_sush; September 17th, 2009 at 03:40 AM..

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Wrox Author

Eval is for one-way binding, Bind for two-way binding. Eval is often used for read-only data while you typically use Bind for editing scenario: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...nd+&aqi=g6g-m1

But are you sure that's the only difference you made? If the database contains a valid picture URL (a relative path, I assume, not something like E:\Bela_ASP.NET\...) then it should display correctly with Eval as well....

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old September 18th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Authorized User

Default Thank you

Respected Imar Sir,

Yes I have done only one change that is instead of Eval I use Bind...Sir..I am almost at end of shopping cart now....actually my shopping cart is running perfectly except one thing...when I added some item into cart..It shows me all relevent details but again a red cross at image feild...

I am going exactly as per book beginning asp.net 2.0...In WroxShopping.ascx my code is looking as follows..
Code:
<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="ShoppingCart.ascx.cs" Inherits="ShoppingCart" %>
<asp:GridView ID="CartGrid" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="ProductID" runat="server" OnRowCancelingEdit="CartGrid_RowCancelingEdit" OnRowDeleting="CartGrid_RowDeleting" OnRowUpdating="CartGrid_RowUpdating" OnRowEditing="CartGrid_RowEditing">
    <Columns>
        <asp:TemplateField>
            <ItemTemplate>
                <asp:Image ID="Image1" runat="server" ImageUrl='<%# Bind("ProductImageUrl", "~/ProductImages/{0}") %>' Width="100" />
            </ItemTemplate>
        </asp:TemplateField>

<asp:BoundField DataField="ProductName" HeaderText="Product" ReadOnly="True" />
        <asp:BoundField DataField="Quantity" HeaderText="Quantity" />
         <asp:BoundField DataField="Price" HeaderText="Price" ReadOnly="True" DataFormatString="{0:c}" />
         <asp:BoundField DataField="LineTotal" HeaderText="Total" ReadOnly="True" DataFormatString="{0:c}" />

<asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" ShowDeleteButton="True" />
    </Columns>
    <EmptyDataTemplate>
        There is nothing in your shopping cart. You can buy items from the <a href="Shop.aspx">Shop.</a>
    </EmptyDataTemplate>
</asp:GridView>
<br />
<asp:Label ID="TotalLabel" runat="server"></asp:Label>
I have a imagebutton on another page as 'Add to cart' when I click that button my selected item goes to cart...
code for imagebutton is
Code:
 protected void btnAddToCart_Click(object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e)
    {
        double Price = double.Parse(((Label)DataList1.Controls[0].FindControl("PriceLabel")).Text);
        string ProductName = ((Label)DataList1.Controls[0].FindControl("NameLabel")).Text;
        string PictureURL = ((Label)DataList1.Controls[0].FindControl("PictureUrlLabel")).Text;
        int ProductID = int.Parse(Request.QueryString["ProductID"]);

if (Profile.Cart == null)
        {
            Profile.Cart = new Royal.Commerce.RoyalShoppingCart();
        }
        Profile.Cart.Insert(ProductID, Price, 1, ProductName, PictureURL);
        Server.Transfer("Shop.aspx");

}
but i don't know why, on my shopping cart i found a red cross..
I am able to see images on Catalog, able to see image on selectItem.aspx but
a red cross on this shopping cart.ascx...
I try with both Bind and Eval...also I have provided relative path in database...
what could be the reason for red cross??
Thank you in advance

Old September 19th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Wrox Author

Quote:
I try with both Bind and Eval...also I have provided relative path in database
Now I am confused. I thought it worked with Bind and not with Eval?

Anyway, take a look at the final HTML in the browser. How do your image path (the src attribute) look? Do they look valid? What happens when you request these paths directly in the browser?

Imar

The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
bela_sush (September 20th, 2009)

Old September 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Authorized User

Smile Almost done...

Respected Imar sir,

Thank you for your valuable time and suggestions...Yes I have solved my all problems regarding shopping cart...actually what you said is correct...I made a mistake while giving slash ( / )....But still...Bind is working but not Eval...

I almost done with my shopping cart....and my first web site is in it's final step..

I am thinking for enhancement in project....and may need your help...

Thank you in advance...

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Authorized User

Question Error

Respected Imar sir,
I am sorry because once again this shopping cart is giving me a problem...everything is working fine...people able to view shopping cart, able to add an item to cart, able to edit shopping cart..

But now the problem is in Chechout.aspx form...everything working good in checkout.aspx, but when I click on Finish button and try to enter cart details in database, I get an error as follows:
Code:
  Server Error in '/Royal' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

Line 105:        try
Line 106:        {
Line 107:            conn = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["Royal"].ConnectionString);
Line 108:            conn.Open();
Line 109:            trans = conn.BeginTransaction();

Source File: e:\Marathi\Royal\Checkout.aspx.cs    Line: 107 

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Checkout.Wizard1_FinishButtonClick1(Object sender, WizardNavigationEventArgs e) in e:\Marathi\Royal\Checkout.aspx.cs:107
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnFinishButtonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) +75
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +619
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardChildTable.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +17
   System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +86
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +155
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4921
error is on line no. 107

my code for database connection is as follows
Code:
 protected void Wizard1_FinishButtonClick1(object sender, WizardNavigationEventArgs e)
    {
        // Insert the order and order lines into the database
        SqlConnection conn = null;
        SqlTransaction trans = null;
        SqlCommand cmd;

try
        {
            conn = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["Royal"].ConnectionString);
            conn.Open();
            trans = conn.BeginTransaction();

cmd = new SqlCommand();
            cmd.Connection = conn;
            cmd.Transaction = trans;

// set the order details
            cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Orders(MemberName, OrderDate, Name, Address, County, PostCode, Country, SubTotal, Discount, Total) " + "VALUES (@MemberName, @OrderDate, @Name, @Address, @County, @PostCode, @Country, @SubTotal, @Discount, @Total)";
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@MemberName", SqlDbType.VarChar, 50);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@OrderDate", SqlDbType.DateTime);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Name", SqlDbType.VarChar, 50);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Address", SqlDbType.VarChar, 255);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@PostalCode", SqlDbType.VarChar, 15);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Country", SqlDbType.VarChar, 50);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@SubTotal", SqlDbType.Money);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Discount", SqlDbType.Money);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Total", SqlDbType.Money);

cmd.Parameters["@MemberName"].Value = User.Identity.Name;
            cmd.Parameters["@OrderDate"].Value = DateTime.Now;
            cmd.Parameters["@Name"].Value = ((TextBox)Wizard1.FindControl("txtName")).Text;
            cmd.Parameters["@Address"].Value = ((TextBox)Wizard1.FindControl("txtAddress")).Text;
            cmd.Parameters["@PostalCode"].Value = ((TextBox)Wizard1.FindControl("txtPostalCode")).Text;
            cmd.Parameters["@Country"].Value = ((TextBox)Wizard1.FindControl("txtCountry")).Text;
            cmd.Parameters["@Total"].Value = Profile.Cart.Total;

int OrderID = Convert.ToInt32(cmd.ExecuteScalar());

// change the query and parameters for the order lines
            cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO OrderLines(OrderID, ProductID, Quantity, Price) " +
              "VALUES (@OrderID, @ProductID, @Quantity, @Price)";
            cmd.Parameters.Clear();
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@OrderID", SqlDbType.Int);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@ProductID", SqlDbType.Int);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Quantity", SqlDbType.Int);
            cmd.Parameters.Add("@Price", SqlDbType.Money);

cmd.Parameters["@OrderID"].Value = OrderID;
            foreach (CartItem item in Profile.Cart.Items)
            {
                cmd.Parameters["@ProductID"].Value = item.ProductID;
                cmd.Parameters["@Quantity"].Value = item.Quantity;
                cmd.Parameters["@Price"].Value = item.Price;

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
            }

// commit the transaction
            trans.Commit();

}
        catch (SqlException SqlEx)
        {
            // some form of error - rollback the transaction 
            // and rethrow the exception
            if (trans != null)
                trans.Rollback();

// Log the exception
            // Tools.log("An error occurred while creating the order", SqlEx)
            throw new Exception("An error occurred while creating the order", SqlEx);
        }
        finally
        {
            if (conn != null)
                conn.Close();
        }

// we will only reach here if the order has been created sucessfully
        // so clear the cart
        Profile.Cart.Items.Clear();

}
Please help me..
Thank you in advance..

Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Wrox Author

Looks like you don't have a connection string called Royal in your web.config file....

Imar

The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
bela_sush (September 23rd, 2009)