Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old April 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Authorized User

Default Question for Imar

Hello,

First of all Imar, I want to congratulate you for writing an outstanding book. You have deeply covered all aspects of most topics in this book which makes it easy to transition to reading the Professional ASP.NET 3.5 book. Your's is probably by far the best beginning book I have ever read in programming from Wrox.

Now my one question doesn't particularly have to do with your book but more of a general question. I recently transfered from PHP and Apache. I'm used to dragging a file from say my desktop.. Lets say INDEX.PHP and putting into htdocs folder. Then in my browser i type localhost/index.php and it loads the file. Now i tried that with wwwroot folder and IIS and I get an error, for example i have default.asp.. i drag into my wwwroot folder then write in my browser localhost/default.asp. How come this is not working properly? What is the equivalent for doing it in ASP and IIS?

Thanks for your time

Old April 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Friend of Wrox

What errors are you getting if any?

First, verify that ASP.NET is actually installed for IIS. If you installed .NET on a machine that already had IIS, then you are probably fine, otherwise, search for "aspnet_regiis" and you should fine many references to "installing" ASP.NET into IIS.

If you are building a site in Visual Web Developer/Visual Studio, which I can only assume you are if you are using this book, then you will likely have a second file for each page: <pagename>.aspx.cs [or .vb]. These are the codebehind files that accompany the pages, user controls and web services files. They act as a pair and thus must be copied over together. Of course, any additional dependencies may require additional files such as helper code (typically in App_Code), database files (App_Data), connection strings or other application settings (found in the web.config). If your pages are pre-compiled, such as those found in the web application project in a full version of Visual Studio, then you'll need to also copy the compiled binaries found in the bin directory.

-Peter
peterlanoie.blog

Old April 27th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Authorized User

Imar,

Since this is somewhat on the topic, I will ask this here... (Am I allowed to do that?)

I just bought a new computer (HP Pavilion dv6875se) hours ago.(Wanted to be able work on the book while in bed with my new laptop when I'm not feeling well.)

Anyway, I completely forgot about the vista edition. It's home premium. For some reason, it has the IIS option, which I installed. I thought I could only have it with business or ultimate edition.

It only had asp.net 3.0 installed, so I installed 3.5. But I don't see asp.net 1.0 or 2.0 installed anywhere. So I need 1.0 and 2.0 installed to run the VWD 2008 and SQL 2005 express editions in order to use them?

Sorry for the blabbing, I don't get out much... LOL

Oh by the way Imar, I just started Chapter 13 of your book. I had enough confidence through what I learned in your book that I took on my first asp.net website job. Thanks

Terry

Old April 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Authorized User

Ignore me again...

When I installed .net 3.5, the orginal 3.0 disapeared. I installed 1.1 and it installed fine (not sure if I was suppose to do that on windows vista premium). ASP.net 2.0 would not install. It said it was already there (or something).

For some reason though, I ended up having two instances and don't know how to remove one.

Old April 27th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

It would be easier if you started a new topic instead of "hijacking" an existing thread, because that makes it easier for you and aspcoder to track your own threads. New subject = new thread.

Anyway, when you install 3.5, the installer makes sure the necessary 2.0 parts are installed as well.
If that's not the case, I recommend uninstalling then reinstalling everything. If you can't remove certain parts, you may need to contact Microsoft support....

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old April 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Wrox Author

Hi aspcoder,

Glad you like the book. Spread the word, spread the word (Maybe write an Amazon review about it so others can read what you think of it?)

Anyway, were Peter's answers sufficient? Is IIS running and set up correctly?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004

Old April 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imar

... instead of "hijacking" ....

Imar
I've never been accused of "HYJACKING" before. It sounds agressive and against the law. Come-on Imar, my self-image is bad enough! :(

Old April 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Imar
 Hi aspcoder,

Glad you like the book. Spread the word, spread the word (Maybe write an Amazon review about it so others can read what you think of it?)

Anyway, were Peter's answers sufficient? Is IIS running and set up correctly?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Sure, I can write a review at Amazon for you. So what Peter was saying is that i just need to copy all the files to the root?

Old April 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Wrox Author

I think your self image is the root problem for some of the issues you have had here in the form. You are offended way too easy by things that are being said here. I know written communication always has its own issues, but with you it's a bit too easy too offend you. First the issue with Jim that didn't have anything to do with you at all, now this. Also, threatening to "never by a Wrox book again if something is not taken back" is, IMO, a great way to frustrate or irritate people like me, especially if it doesn't even apply to you.

Hijacking a forum thread is a common term for continuing a thread with a topic that's slightly similar but that takes away the focus from the original thread and poster. It's not meant to sound aggressive.

I'll say the following (quoted part) exactly once to comfort you. (After that you're free to feel offended for anything that has been said here; by me or by others, but I'll ignore that. I rather spend my time focusing on helping people to program than mind their sensitive souls), so here goes:

"Whatever I say here is said with the best intention, aimed at helping you through the book or the task at hand. I have no intention, or desire to offend you, hurt your feelings or otherwise mess with you. If you feel differently: it's your sensitive nature, not my intend"

With that behind our backs, let's focus on the book again.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars

Old April 27th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Wrox Author

Hi aspcoder,

What do you mean with copy the files to the root? Do you want to run PlanetWrox under IIS?

IIS is by default set up to serve files from C:\inetpub\wwwroot. So, a file like C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Test.aspx can be requested as http://localhost/Test.aspx. IIS maps Test.aspx to a file in C:\inetpub\wwwroot and serves that file.

But have you confirmed IIS is set up OK? Are you sure you mean to request .asp files as the book deals with ASPX files.

Can you explain a bit more about your problem, your setup and what you already have in place?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars