Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Authorized User

Default ASP.NET 3.5 Advanced CSS Question

Hi Again,

I thought I would put this into another post to seperate it.

3 Questions (building on the knowledge from your book):

I'm looking at your website Imar ( imar.spaanjaars.com ) and I see that you have the rounded corners for your horizontal navigation. Now my question is, when I was doing it before learning ASP.NET, I would use the sliding doors technique, essentially placing the images such as
.nav a {
 background: url(images/left_corn.gif) no-repeat top-left;
}
etc..

Is there anyway to do that with asp.net menu controls? I'm looking through the properties window and maybe I'm just blind but I can't seem to find anywhere to attach an image. If there isn't a way through the properties window, would I just do it the same way as before?

2) How do you achieve even width drop down menus using the menu control that line up with the static root elements for the navigational structure? In normal HTML/CSS/JAVASCRIPT programming you would set the a elements to block and then you could adjust the width? How do you achieve the same thing with these controls?

3) You mentioned in Chapter 7, using CSS friendly adapters. How do you go about using them? They give you a template to use but what if i don't want to use that template and want to use another? How do you go about it?

Thanks for your time. I'm pretty new to the Microsoft world as you can tell, but from seeing what you are capable of, I'd say its far superior to PHP or any other server side programming language.

Best,
ASPC

Old April 28th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi again,

1) My "rounded corners" are the easiest ever: http://imar.spaanjaars.com/Images/Menu/FAQsNormal.gif ;)

The Menu control exposes a number of control Styles as demonstrated in chapter 7. The style has a CssClass property that you can use to define classes in external style sheets.

2) If I understand you correctly, the answer is the same as 1): use CssClass and assign a class.

3) Choose File | New Website | My Templates | Tutorial on ASP.NET CSS Friendly Control Adapters to set up a tutorial site. This site serves the following four purposes:

1) Help you understand how the control adapter architecture works in ASP.NET 2.0.
2) Provide you with a set of sample adapters that are CSS friendly.
3) Enable you to immediately begin using these sample adapters in your own sites.
4) Get you started building your own custom control adapters.

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.