Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP.NET 3.5 > BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
Password Reminder
Register
| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via AIM to julianfraser Send a message via MSN to julianfraser Send a message via Yahoo to julianfraser
Default Getting about:blank when running code in VS 2008

I've just picked up this book after several years of putting off making the transition from Classic ASP. I'm on chapter 1 and have just created my first ASP.NET website... yay! Anyway, when I run the site (Debug --> Start without Debugging), an internet explorer window opens up with "about"blank" in the address bar. To get to the site I have to double click on the ASP.NET Development Server in the tray and click on the Root URL link.

I'm running Visual Studio 2008 on a MacBook Pro with XP MCE SP3

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix. I'm going to get tired of this very fast otherwise!!!

Cheers,
Julian.

Old May 19th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Julian,

That's frustrating indeed, and not how it's supposed to be. A few things to check:

1. What is your standard default browser? IE?

2. What happens when you right-click a page in the Solution Explorer and choose View in Browser?

3. What is the standard homepage in your default browser? Is that about:blank?

4. What happens when you right-click a page in the Solution Explorer and Browse With? What settings do you get?

Finally, is this a clean VS 2008 install? Have you looked into resetting the settings to the default ones if it's not a fresh install?

Cheers,
Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via AIM to julianfraser Send a message via MSN to julianfraser Send a message via Yahoo to julianfraser

1. What is your standard default browser? IE?
Yes, IE is my default browser

2. What happens when you right-click a page in the Solution Explorer and choose View in Browser?
This opens up the page just fine, this is one step closer i suppose.

3. What is the standard homepage in your default browser? Is that about:blank?
My default homepage is http://www.google.com

4. What happens when you right-click a page in the Solution Explorer and Browse With? What settings do you get?
This opens the page fine in all browsers, IE, Firefox and Internal Browser.

Weird huh? Will this cause me problems further down the line if I can't resolve this? I'm assuming yes if I can't use the debugger. I'm new to ASP.NET and have only used Visual Studio for VB.NET apps. F5 and Ctrl-F5 are going to be crucial when it comes to compiling and debugging, correct?

Thanks Imar,
Julian.

Old May 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Another thing to check is the following setting:

Website | Start Options.

Is "Use current page" selected?

It may get you in trouble later. While not impossible, it will be pretty frustrating if F5 doesn't get you where you want...

With regards to my question 4) below: what is set as your default browser?

If all else fails, try resetting your settings through Tools | Import and Export Settings.

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Authorized User

Website --> Start Options is set to "Use curent page"

Default browser is IE 7.0.5730.13

I reset all the setting through Tools --> Import and Export Settings, result is the same as before. Ctrl-F5 gets me about:blank

Old May 19th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Wrox Author

Very weird.

The only things I can think of are a) a software bug / installation issue in VS 2008 or b) a browser issue.

Have you tried to make a browser like Firefox your default browser in VS 2008 and see if that helps?

Otherwise, I am pretty much out of options....

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Authorized User

Thanks for your time on this Imar.

Ok so if I set Firefox as the default bowser, then Ctrl-F5 works and loads the site fine. But no go with IE still. I guess this means it's an IE browser issue.

Another quick question, my machine is running SQL Server 2005 Developer, I selected not to install the express edition when I installed Visual Studio, that's not going to affect anything right?

Thanks,
Julian.

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Wrox Author

It *is* going to affect a number of things.

First of all, the Express edition uses a different security model. It has a concept called User Instances where SQL runs under your user account without much configuration. With Express, all you need to do is add a database to App_Data, hit F5 and things will work (not sure about the F5 part in your case :-) )

Additionally, by default ASP.NET has a connectionstring for a local SQL server (installed at (local)\SqlExpress) that it uses by default for features like Membership and Roles. Again, all you need to do is add a few controls to a page, hit F5 and the database will be created for you against the (local)\SqlExpress server.

When you use a different database you need to make your own configuration changes. Those are described in Chapter 18 and Appendix B.

So, all in all, I think you're much better off installing Express (which you download here: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/express) in a "side by side" mode next to your existing installation

If you want to proceed with the dev edition then you may want to keep this article handy:
http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?ID=395

Cheers,

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Authorized User

Thanks Imar,

I'll cross the SQL bridge when I come to it. I've been using SQL Server for a number of years with classic ASP, so I'm going to need to learn how to do it this way anyway. When I get to the chapter on SQL, I'll see if it makes sense to install express.

Thanks for all your help.

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Wrox Author

You're welcome. Good luck....

Imar

Imar Spaanjaars