Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 25th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Default Chapter 8 in VB.NET page 283

After I make the changes to the Page_Load procedure, then compile/run the website default.aspx, I get this error,

"Name 'Banner1' is not declared".

It says on the bottom part of the page to "verify that the banner user control has an ID of Banner1 in the mark-up view of the page", so I checked the MasterPage.master and this is the line that references the user control:

<Wrox:Banner ID="Banner1" runat="server" DisplayDirection = "Vertical" />

I don't know why I'm getting an error, any suggestion?

Old June 26th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,019, Level: 100 Points: 72,019, Level: 100 Points: 72,019, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi jensam,

Maybe you missed a few steps? The idea is to write this code in About.aspx, not in the Master Page.

Step 11 on page 282 shows you how to add a Banner control to the About page, resulting in the markup you posted here (<Wrox:Banner ID="Banner1" ...)

Step 1 on page 283 then says: "Open the Code Behind of AboutUs.aspx and add the following code.

So, the code in the Page_Load of AboutUs.aspx.vb talks to the control defined in the markup of AboutUs.aspx. The Master Page shouldn't have anything to do with it in this demo.

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Hello jensam

I also missed the step 11 on page 282, after adding the banner.ascx control into the aboutus.aspx i got the problem solved.

But i am curious already there is a banner control in master page with id "Banner1" and now another banner control in the aboutus.aspx page with the banner id "Banner1". Won't there be a conflict when the page loads with both master and aboutus.aspx with these banner id's.

MalarCodes

Old August 19th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

In the .NET framework, there are two "TextBox" classes:

System.Windows.Forms.TextBox
System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox

They don't conflict because they are in two different namespaces. Think of your question in that regard. Yes, you have a "Banner1" in two places however, they are in different places in a control hierarchy. One is in the master page's controls and one in the page's content placeholder. If you look at the HTML that is emitted to the browser for the aboutus.aspx page, you'll see two distinct controls names:

ctl00_cpMainContent_Banner1 - This is the horizontal banner in the page's content.
ctl00_Banner1 - This is the one that lives in the master page.

Note: Unless explicitly named, the top level master page control will typically be "ctl00".

-Peter
compiledthoughts.com