Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to newbreed65
Default Authentication Issue

Hey Imar and everyone else

I’ve come across the problem below as i tried previewing the first try it out in chapter 13, this isn’t the first time I’ve come across it since it always happens when I try uploading any asp.net work I’ve done.

Can someone to help me get my head round this problem because whenever I tried figuring out what’s wrong I just get a mental block and just can process the information

andy

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 79: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
Line 80: -->
Line 81: <authentication mode="Windows"/>
Line 82: <!--
Line 83: The <customErrors> section enables configuration

Old July 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

From the perspective of ASP.NET, in IIS, each web site and virtual directory is an application starting point, that is, the base folder from which an ASP.NET application runs. Certain configuration options are only permitted at this point in an application.

A portion of the error message really says it all: "This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

What you are seeing is a case where you are intending for the directory in which you web.config lives to be an application starting point, but it isn't. This has to be configured in IIS. It needs to be either a new web site or a new virtual directory in an existing web site.

*** Important note ***: Windows XP only supports 1 web site. You can only create more virtual directories. Windows Server versions of IIS support multiple web sites.

-Peter
compiledthoughts.com
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

In addition to what Peter said, you may also want to look at page 656 where this error is mentioned.

Most likely, you're opening up (and browsing to) the wrong folder in VWD. Maybe you opened up C:\BegASPNET\Source and then tried to browse to a folder like Chapter09? If that's the case, make sure you open the chapter folder in VWD directly: C:\BegASPNET\Source\Chapter09 instead of C:\BegASPNET\Source.

Hope this helps,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to newbreed65

thanx ive just realised what ive done stupidly wrong lol, ive have been trying to used a copy of my site that i made just incase i broke it when trying a few different things.

yeah im abit retarded :-p