Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58 Points: 18,059, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Sorry I've been so slow on this. Between me forgetting to nudge people and everyone having a lot of holiday time off in Nov and Dec, I've been really slow on this. The good news is, I found someone with answers today, have requested an ISBN for this (and another lost ebook), and hope that I actually have the process rolling now. Fingers crosses, I learned something new and useful.

I'll let you know as soon as I know that it worked and what the availability date will be.

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Authorized User

Default Re: e-book

Hi Jim,

Do you have any news back about the e-book? Will it be available for free for those that purchased the hard copy?

Thanks,
Alex

- TheBeerHouse Mods Repository
http://www.sashka.com/TheBeerHouse/thebeerhouse.html

Old February 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Wrox Staff

Hi Alex. If I'm reading the schedule right, we'll get the ebook from the vendor that provides them for us the first week of March. But I've put in a question to one of our e product managers to have him better explain the schedule dates to me.

No, at this point, we don't have any discount for ebooks for people who bought the print book. Yes, it's a good idea.

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Authorized User

Default Re: ebook

Thanks Jim!

- TheBeerHouse Mods Repository
http://www.sashka.com/TheBeerHouse/thebeerhouse.html

Old January 18th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminatel View Post
Hi Alex. If I'm reading the schedule right, we'll get the ebook from the vendor that provides them for us the first week of March. But I've put in a question to one of our e product managers to have him better explain the schedule dates to me.

No, at this point, we don't have any discount for ebooks for people who bought the print book. Yes, it's a good idea.
We're almost a year on from this thread, and I notice that Alex's "good idea" did not, apparently, find much support at Wrox. The question of ebook pricing was one of the reasons I joined the forum today. FWIW, my opinion is that having paid for the right to access the intellectual property contained in a book by purchasing a physical copy, I do not expect to have to pay the same again to access it electronically. After all, there is virtually no overhead in providing an ebook (unless you pay ex-bankers to scan them ). Seriously, isn't there a way to resolve this, or at least meet halfway?

In anticipation of the raising of piracy concerns, I doubt that a more generous deal would make much difference. I also doubt that I would have much problem locating a "free" copy online but, like most of your readers, I am not a thief.

Old January 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Wrox Staff

Actually, we spent quite a bit of time over the last year trying to implement this but running into issues on 2 fronts:
  1. Technical & systems: The two separate commerce systems that run our print book and ebook sales aren't integrated enough to offer a shared discount for customers who want to buy both print & e from us in one purchase; and for customers who buy the print book elsewhere and we want to offer them a discount for the ebook, we don't have a system in place to offer/redeem a unique discount code for every copy of the book.
  2. Business relationships: We're really sensitive to the concerns of book retailers and direct discounts from us like this is a sensitive issue for some our our biggest retail partners.
That said, we have what should be exciting and welcome news coming in early 2010 on some other ebook initiatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to jminatel For This Useful Post:
algypug (January 20th, 2010)

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:13 AM

@jminatel

Thanks for the reply. I guess it's difficult to devise a good commercial model when the bias between ebooks and "p" books is changing. It might be easier if the ebook were offered free to owners of the pbook, but even that involves problems with proof of purchase, etc. I have to admit that ebooks do give added value with their portability and searchability, and we should therefore be prepared for an added cost. There is value in the intellectual property, but also value in the accessibility. FWIW, paper would still be my first choice, but the rapid advances in ebook reader technology could change that. Has anyone tried reading tech books with the larger Kindle?

With the happy hours that tend to spend in book stores, I also understand and support your concerns for retailers.

Old February 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Wrox Staff

One more update on this. Today we announced availability of 24 Wrox ebooks for sale DRM-Free (with more to come):
http://p2p.wrox.com/content/blogs/jm...ctory-discount
Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 is available in this ebook program. AND, through April 30, 2010, use the discount code NODRM to get a 20% discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to jminatel For This Useful Post:
algypug (February 4th, 2010)

Old February 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM

@jminatel - Thanks for the update - good news. I'm really waiting for the "Visual Basic 2010 Programmer's Reference" to appear and will most likely go for both "p" and "e" versions.

Cheers!