Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bruce.Wiki
Default Working with the book on two machines...

Hi Imar,

actually I did not yet start to work with your book - but I am through the first few pages, and I really like what I have read so far and I am really looking forward to learning by your book because my younger brother did so and he really loved the experience.

Whatsoever I have to work through the book on two different PCs and I was wondering how to manage that without constantly plugging and unplugging my usb stick ;)
So my actual question is - and I hope it is not too stupid: Does Visual Studio 2008 (full version) offer some sort of integrated solution for that purpose? Or is there some sort of online service that offers me to upload my result? I would be willing to pay a small monthly fee if that would at the same time enable me to publish my results and share and discuss progress with my brother.

Thanks in advance for any sort of advice or suggestion and please excuse the bad English - I really hope that writing in C# turns out better for me than writing in English....

Old October 29th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Bruce,

Is your goal to be able to work with the same set of files on both machines? Are they networked? If so you should be able to map a network drive from one to the other so you can work with them as if they are local. That will save you from having to move a USB stick back and forth.

-Peter
compiledthoughts.com
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi Bruce,

Another option is to use an FTP server. This is discussed in the first chapter, when opening sites is discussed. On top of that, you need a hosting environment and configure your site there. This is discussed in chapter 18.

However, I think that while learning, copying files to a USB stick is probably a lot easier...

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Hi Peter,

thank you for your answer.
But actually the machines are not in the same network and setting up a VPN seems a little bit inappropriate and intricate to me, somehow.
Is there no way / service to publish things online and by the way synchronized the progress on two (or more) machines.
I have heard that team explorer would do that, but it seems that you need your own Server for that. So that would be definitely too expensive. But I was wondering if maybe some site offered something like that as a service with a monthly fee - just like the services for MS exchange etc.
I am still very thankful for any sort of advice or suggestion.

- Bruce
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Hi Imar,

thank you for the hint.
I'll check the chapters and then see if a FTP solution is the right thing for me. Either way thanks a lot for the advice and support!

- Bruce
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55 Points: 16,481, Level: 55

Bruce,

Typically when you get into doing concurrent/synchronized development you are getting into the world or source code control. There are lots of source control systems that work over the internet, many free and open source (CVS, SVN, to name but a few). There are many sites that have publicly accessible source code repositories that you can join for free to create projects hosted by their systems. However, I have not used them so I can't offer much as a recommendation or details on how they work. But something like CodePlex.

However, if you are looking for a simple way to work together while learning, all this might be overkill.

-Peter
compiledthoughts.com