Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old November 30th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Default Newby - Download Instructions

Hello,

I'm new to ASP.NET having done some PHP. Step 3 of page 3 states for the installer options: "make sure you select both the MSDN Express Library for Visual Studio 2008 and Miscosoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition....."

The only option I got was to install Miscosoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition which I did.

How will I know if I already have MSDN Express Library installed and if I don't have it, how will I get it and where do I put it please?

Also...will it make any difference that I will be using Miscosoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition instead of 2005 please?

I didn't get the opportunity to install Silverlight either.

I'm running Vista Home Premium. All help gratefully received.

Great book by the way. I've just started Chapter 2.

Bill

Old November 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

Is this the first time you install a Visual Studio product? If so, it's unlikely you already have the help files. They are not a requirement for the book though...

You should be able to follow along with SQL Server 2008, as it's pretty similar to 2005 in terms of the functionality used in this book. If you run into problems, you can always post here or install 2005.

Cheers,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM

Hi Imar,

Thanks for the prompt reply. No, I have not installed any other Visual Studio product previously and I agree that there are no help files on my machine. I have found them online however and if I feel that I need them I can install them easily enough...I think! Good to know also that I can work with Sql Server 2008!

I'm just puzzled as to why I was not offered the option. I'm not worried though as it is comforting to know that I can get help and advice on this forum. Thanks again. I've no doubt that you will be hearing from me again when I get stuck :0)

Bill

Old December 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

I just checked the download page, and it seems that Microsoft has changed the behavior with SP1. On the download page (http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/) it now says:

NOTE: Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1 does NOT include MSDN Express Library. Be sure to download the library separately. For more information about the Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions with SP1, please see this FAQ

with a link to the help files. I guess they did that to save some bandwidth, as many people are likely to read the on-line help anyway.

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.