Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Hi Imar,

Thanks for the quick response. I got it to work now. It looks like it was a combination of setting my login credentials, turning my firewall off and not liking the EnableSsl.

Thanks for your help!

Old September 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default error in sending emails

Hello Imar
This is my first post to the site and as other persons had faced problem the same I have. I can not send emails with the examples given in your book. Well I have found this book as "best of breed" but emailing is really bottleneck. I have used TRY & CATCH blocks as well as suggested in one of the posts. But I still have problem, it always executes the CATCH block.
Also please specify more that in code where to write "you@yourprovider.com" as it is, and where to replace it with the real data.
I use gmail account and my email Id is "vkhilaryjack@gmail.com".
And also specify that should it need to be replaced
Code:
myMessage.From = new MailAddress("you@yourprovider.com", "Sender Name Here");
      myMessage.To.Add(new MailAddress("you@yourprovider.com", "Receiver Name Here"));
into relevant information or leave it as it is.

Please reply me as soon as possible as I have been dealing with this problem for last 6 days.

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default Error in Sending Email

Hello Imar
This is my first post to the site and as other persons had faced problem the same I have. I can not send emails with the examples given in your book. Well I have found this book as "best of breed" but emailing is really bottleneck. I have used TRY & CATCH blocks as well as suggested in one of the posts. But I still have problem, it always executes the CATCH block.
Also please specify more that in code where to write "you@yourprovider.com" as it is, and where to replace it with the real data.
I use gmail account and my email Id is "vkhilaryjack@gmail.com".
And also specify that should it need to be replaced
Code:
      myMessage.To.Add(new MailAddress("you@yourprovider.com", "Receiver Name Here"));
into relevant information or leave it as it is.

Please reply me as soon as possible as I have been dealing with this problem for last 6 days.

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi Jack,

As indicated in the book, you *always* need to replace you@yourprovider.com with your own e-mail address; it's just a placeholder meant to refer to your own e-mail address.

If you're using a Gmail account, does that also mean you're using GMail's mail server? If so, did you try the code I posted earlier in this thread? You need to set the port number and set EnableSsl to true.

The problem with sending mail is that there are way too many different configurations so the book couldn't deal with them all. However, if you're using GMail's SMTP server the book's example should work.

If this doesn't help, can you post your exact code and the config section from web.config? Don't forget to replace your password and other sensitive data before you post here.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Wrox Author

Heuh? Did you just post the same question again? If so, why? Or is that a forum bug?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default just a minute

Ok Sir, just wait a minute I am looking for my site.

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default sending codes

contact form.ascx.cs

Code:
Namespaces here

public partial class controls_WebUserControl : System.Web.UI.UserControl
{
    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

}
      protected void CustomValidator1_ServerValidate(object source, ServerValidateEventArgs args)
    {
        if (txtPhoneHome.Text != string.Empty || txtPhoneBusiness.Text != string.Empty)
        {
            args.IsValid = true;

}
        else
        {
            args.IsValid = false;
        }
    }

protected void btnSend_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        if (Page.IsValid)
        {

string fileName = Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/ContactForm.txt");
            //string mailBody = string.Empty;
            //if (Cache["ContactFormMailBody"] == null)
            //{
            //    mailBody = System.IO.File.ReadAllText(fileName);
            //    Cache.Insert("ContactFormMailBody", mailBody, new CacheDependency(fileName));
            //}
            //else
            //{
            //    mailBody = Cache["ContactFormMailBody"].ToString() + "\r\n( )";//stops dirty message from being sent
            //}
            string mailBody = System.IO.File.ReadAllText(fileName);
            mailBody = mailBody.Replace("##name##", txtName.Text);
            mailBody = mailBody.Replace("##Email##", txtEmailAddress.Text);
            mailBody = mailBody.Replace("##HomePhone##", txtPhoneHome.Text);
            mailBody = mailBody.Replace("##BusinessPhone##", txtPhoneBusiness.Text);
            mailBody = mailBody.Replace("##Comments##", txtComments.Text);

MailMessage myMessage = new MailMessage();
            myMessage.Subject = "Response From Web Site";
            myMessage.Body = mailBody;

myMessage.To.Add(new MailAddress("vkhilaryjack@gmail.com", "jack"));

SmtpClient mySmtpClient = new SmtpClient();
            try
            {
                mySmtpClient.EnableSsl = true;
                mySmtpClient.Send(myMessage);
            }
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                //ex.Message;
                lblMessage.Text = "An error occurred while sending your e-mail. Please try again.";
            }
            //mySmtpClient.Send(myMessage);

lblMessage.Visible = true;
            FormTable.Visible = false;
            //System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(5000);

}
    }

}

web config file

<system.net>
    <mailSettings>
      <smtp from="jack &lt;vkhilaryjack@gmail.Com&gt;" deliveryMethod="Network">
        <network host="smtp.gmail.com" userName="vkhilaryjack" password="PASSWORD" port="587"/>
      </smtp>
    </mailSettings>
  </system.net>

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Friend of Wrox

Default code sent

hello sir, I have sent the code I used, please guide me regarding this.......

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Wrox Author

Four things to try:

1. Make sure that in web.config you use vkhilaryjack @ gmail dot com (as one word / valid e-mail address, don't want to post your full address here) and not just vkhilaryjack. Gmail wants a full e-mail address.

2. Try the code I posted earlier that explicitly sets the Credentials property of the client.

3. Make sure you replace you@yourprovider.com as discussed earlier. I am pretty sure GMail requires you to supply a valid e-mail address.

4. Remove the Try/Catch block so you can see what the actual error is....

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
hello sir, I have sent the code I used, please guide me regarding this.......
Yes, I can see it. Please allow for more than 5 seconds before expecting a reply...... ;-)