Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Wow
It works great!
Thank you very much!
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16 Points: 1,749, Level: 16
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
For some reason, Chrome is seen as a downlevel browser.
I've run into that before. When I redid the CSS for one of my websites after IE8 had just come out, I built my primary stylesheet to work for "modern" browsers and attached a second stylesheet with conditional comments to target IE6 and below. Chrome pulls that additional stylesheet.

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
-Johann von Goethe

When Two Hearts Race... Both Win.
-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of www.EarthChronicle.com
A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Are you sure about that? Never seen that before. Can you post the code you used?

BTW
Quote:
For some reason, Chrome is seen as a downlevel browser.
That's different from what you're describing. I was referring to ASP.NET at the server; what you are referring to is client behavior by the browser itself.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Friend of Wrox

Sure.
Here's the head of the document...
HTML Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">

<head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><meta name="robots" content="all, index, follow" /><link rel="shortcut icon" href="AllSites/Images/EcDesignImages/ecfavicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /><meta name="keywords" content="Earthchronicle, Earth, Chronicle, Chronicles, Public Domain, Library, Libraries, Home, Homepage" /><meta name="description" content="Earth Chronicle. Home page for Earth Chronicle, the best public domain library on Earth." />
		<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" title="ecStylesheet" href="CSS/EcPrimary.css" />
		<!--[if lte IE 6]>
			<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" title="ecIeFixes" href="CSS/EcIeFixes.css" />
		<![endif]-->
	<title>
	Earth Chronicle Home
</title></head>
My primary stylesheet is designed to handle all the styling, and then I have the second stylesheet in the conditional comment to fix everything for IE6, or to rip it out altogether. The one chance I've had to check it out in Chrome (it's not one of the browsers I typically support), it was missing the images around the page border which is the big thing that my IE6 stylesheet turns off.

I guess that's true. My assumption was that Chrome called the IE6 stylesheet. Do you think if may have failed for some other reason?

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
-Johann von Goethe

-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Old May 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100

Maybe Chrome doesn't show them by design? I tried this:

Code:
<head>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="normal.css" />
  <!--[if lte IE 6]>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="ie.css" />
  <![endif]-->
</head>
And these two style sheets:

Code:
normal.css
div
{
  border: 1px solid Black;
}
Code:
ie.css
div
{
  border: 1px solid Red;
}
In both IE 8 and Chrome the border around my div elements is black, which is consistent with a) how it's supposed to work and b) what I've witnessed in the past.

So, maybe there was a different reason for the behavior in Chrome in your case?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Friend of Wrox

Interesting. I wonder if there may have been some other configuration on the computer that caused it to download the stylesheet in error. Or if there is something in the primary stylesheet that Chrome doesn't like. Chrome is ACID2 compliant like IE8, though correct? I can't imagine what would be causing the problem.

-Johann von Goethe

-Dove Chocolate Wrapper

Old May 17th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Wrox Author

ACID2 is not relevant here or at least shouldn't influence the way style sheets are read or processed. Conditional comments are an IE only feature, so Chrome shouldn't try to read in the IE-only stylesheet at all.

Imar

Old August 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Authorized User

Default Menu Bar

I haver been away for a couple of weeks and picked up the .net 3.5 book again at chapter 7. having completed up to page 253 the menu is done but does not function as the online version.

Static menue items are not spaced out and dynamic hover characteristics do not appear to function. ?

I am in C# and I can change the font size and weight of static manu items in thye Css file but little else.... The menu bar Css is still MainMenu.. I am using IE8 which may complement this thread..any ideas

Regards

gerry (harry)
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Wrox Author

Hi there,

Check out the errata for page 244 of the book here: http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...Cd-ERRATA.html

Does that resolve the issue?

Otherwise, can you please be more specific? "do not appear to function" is not enough for me to help you out. Please describe the problem in more detail and post relevant code if available...

Cheers,

Imar

Old August 16th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Authorized User

Default Menu Bar

Thanks for your speedy response Imar

The IE8 "patches" are listed as not applicable for my system (WIN7) when i download. The problems I see are that the menu items are not spaced out across the menu bar nor is the selected one coloured differently as is the online one. Also, the DynamicHoverStyle attributes do not function in as much as when hovered the background does not change colour.

I have checked the CSS code for errors against that in the downloaded resource file and all is correct. I also removed the ItemSpacing attribute from the staticmenuitemstyle element.

I am sure I will find a solution eventually but I am kee to move on, particularly to the database section wher I have some expertise.

Best regards

Gerry