Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Authorized User

Default Reference to BasePage

In the "Try It Out - Styling the Menu Control", beginning on page 249, and specifically regarding the creation of the folders and aspx pages on page 251, when I compile the project I get an error for each page. The parent class, i.e., BasePage, which is in folder "Classes" (I am using WAP) is shown in each of the new aspx pages as if it were in the directory in which the page is being created. For example, for the AboutUs.aspx in the /About folder the class declaration in AboutUs.aspx.cs is shown as:

public partial class AboutUs : Site.About.Classes.BasePage

rather then what I corrected it to

public partial class AboutUs : Site.Classes.BasePage

Not hard to fix, but kind of annoying. Since I am selecting "MyBasePage" from the "My Templates" section of the "Add New Item" dialog, doesn't VS2008 know where the page is in the structure? Seems weird.

Thomas
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

You asked for troubles when you switched to a WAP; now you're getting them... ;-)
Quote:
doesn't VS2008 know where the page is in the structure
It knows it exactly; that's why it adds About in the structure..... ;-)

All kidding aside, look in the .cs file in the template's ZIP file. I am pretty sure you'll see something like this:
Code:

public partial class $safeitemname$ : $rootnamespace$.BasePage
Simply remove $rootnamespace$ and replace it with the hardcoded namespace for the BasePage class. Then store the .cs file in the ZIP again and it should work.

Rather than using the namespace in front of the class name you also consider a using statement:

Code:

using YourNamespaceForBasePage;
public partial class $safeitemname$ : BasePage
Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Authorized User

Imar,

Yes, I did volunteer to use WAP. I just know there is a pony in there someplace!

I have found that the following works without having to edit the .zip file or add a using statement.

I created a new page in the root of the project and then dragged it to the appropriate folder. The directory structure for the BasePage is then correct and dragging it is an easy step.

Thomas
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

That won't work in the long run. You'll end up with classes called Default for example in the same namespace but in different folders. This won't compile.

Fixing the template (two minute job) should fix this.

BTW: the BasePage has nothing to do with *directory structure*; it's prefixed with a namespace. VWD just happens to use the directory structure as the default namespace. May seem insignificant, but thought it was worth mentioning it.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!