Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:25 AM

Default Chapter15 Pg 522

Hi Imar,

I tried to create a new login from the created website based on the book but unfortunately I encountered the error below in the IE.

"The database filename can not contain the following 3 characters: [ (open square brace), ] (close square brace) and ' (single quote)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

SQLExpress database file auto-creation error:

The connection string specifies a local Sql Server Express instance using a database location within the applications App_Data directory. The provider attempted to automatically create the application services database because the provider determined that the database does not exist. The following configuration requirements are necessary to successfully check for existence of the application services database and automatically create the application services database:

If the applications App_Data directory does not already exist, the web server account must have read and write access to the applications directory. This is necessary because the web server account will automatically create the App_Data directory if it does not already exist.
If the applications App_Data directory already exists, the web server account only requires read and write access to the applications App_Data directory. This is necessary because the web server account will attempt to verify that the Sql Server Express database already exists within the applications App_Data directory. Revoking read access on the App_Data directory from the web server account will prevent the provider from correctly determining if the Sql Server Express database already exists. This will cause an error when the provider attempts to create a duplicate of an already existing database. Write access is required because the web server accounts credentials are used when creating the new database.
SQL Server Express must be installed on the machine.
The process identity for the web server account must have a local user profile. See the readme document for details on how to create a local user profile for both machine and domain accounts."

As you have mentioned in Chapter 11, SQL database file cannot be created in App_data folder, so I gather I will have to move planetwrox.mdf to SQL server data folder and by doing so, all links in the webpages created in the exercises will have to be changed.

Is there other way to fix the error above? Please help. Thanks

Nick
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

Hi there,

Take a look at this:

Quote:
The database filename can not contain the following 3 characters: [ (open square brace), ] (close square brace) and ' (single quote)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

What's the name of your .MDF file in App_Data? And can you post the connectionStrings section from web.config?

Quote:
As you have mentioned in Chapter 11, SQL database file cannot be created in App_data folder, so I gather I will have to move planetwrox.mdf to SQL server data folder and by doing so, all links in the webpages created in the exercises will have to be changed.
Not sure what you are referring to. First, App_Data is made for MDF and other data files so I don't understand why you say I said you can't. On what page did I say that? Can you post a quote?

Secondly, why would page links need to be updated because you move a database? The two shouldn't be related at all.....

Hope this helps; if not, please let me know.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM

Hi there,

A single quote!!! Of course, my folder contains a single quote. Should have picked it up earlier. Changed it and it works.

My sincere apology for the confusion about chapter11, someone posted it as the title, you didn't said it and it was not in the book.

thanks heaps.
Nick
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:43 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100 Points: 72,073, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

No problem; glad it's working now...

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!