Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

| FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Authorized User

Default Chapter 11 Page 354

Other than confusing readers, what is the reasoning behind this sentence?

"For the purpose of this book, and the web sites you will build, it's also safe to assume that the data in the database is stored in electronic format."

What?!?
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,563 Posts

It wasn't meant to confuse you. It's half joke / half truth.

A database doesn't necessarily have to be digital. The stack of Rolodex cards on my desktop is technically a database as well. However, for the purpose of this book, I narrowed the definition of a database to those iin electronic or digitial form.

What did you think was so confusing about that sentence?

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Authorized User

It didn't confuse me (but I've been developing client-server database applications for over 10 years...just never developed any web apps), I thought it would confuse a beginner new to development. I guess I just found it to be a rediculous statement. You now what I mean? I think it's also safe for YOU to assume that readers who have been following along in the book have been doing so with a computer.

Oops I made a mistake in my original post of this thread. It should be:
""For the purpose of this book, and the web sites you will build, it's also safe to assume that the data in the database is stored in an electronic format." But its difficult to "cut and paste" from a non-electronic format (my book) to an electronic format (my computer). :)
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100 Points: 72,055, Level: 100

Quote:
I think it's also safe for YOU to assume that readers who have been following along in the book have been doing so with a computer.
Absolutely. But that doesn't have much to do with the definition of the term database....

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Authorized User

NEITHER DOES A ROLODEX.

Yea, let me see. Uh, I need to access my rolodex database via a Web page, is there an API for THAT??? Can ADO.NET handle that? Come on!!

Dude, I don't have time for this. I have less than two weeks to build an application using ASP.NET and present it to upper management so that they can determine if we use ASP.NET, JSF, or Ruby on Rails. We drew out of a hat and I was the unlucky one saddled with learning C# and ASP.NET.

I'm now sorry I posted, but there has been a boat load of these little quips that disturb me. You know? I'm under the gun right now and when I come across dumb, it disturbs me.
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Wrox Author

If you don't have the time for this, then why bother posting something here that you clearly understand? Like I said, it was mainly meant as a joke. If you don't think it's funny, feel free to move on.

If you think the book contains confusing langage and other "little quips that disturb [you]", feel free to send them to Wrox using the formal errata form. I'll be happy to correct them for you using the errata section.

I don't understand why you're so hostile; All I am doing here is trying to help you. If you don't appreciate that: fine, but if things continue like this I won't respond to your posts anymore.

Cheers,

Imar

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Authorized User

No need to reply:

I just read the entire thread again.

I took a few deep breaths and counted to 10.

You've done an excellent job with this book. It really is a great book. I'm learning a ton and you have helped me a great deal. That was an unnecessary post. I guess I am a little hostile right now for some reason, and it wasn't my intention to take it out on you.