Wrox Programmer Forums
|
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Authorized User

Imar,

Nope no number conversion I must've just typed something in wrong and I'll figure it out eventually.

At this point I decided to use your code instead and opened the various chapters in VS and playing with them. In Chap 15 I encountered some difficulty with the signup.aspx page, in design view it shows the security question fields but when I call it up with ctrl f5 they don't show up and when I type in my details up to and including the email field, press 'create user' I get the 'chinese' stuff below. I don't know what the target machine refused ip address means but I think the smtp errors further down are because I need to use my email details. If I'm right that leaves the missing security question fields and the refused ip. Can you help?

Server Error in '/Chapter 15' Application.
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 66.116.109.37:25
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 66.116.109.37:25

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SocketException (0x274d): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 66.116.109.37:25]
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) +239
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) +35
System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Bool ean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) +224

[WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server]
System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout) +5421675
System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) +202
System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) +21
System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout) +332
System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(Strin g host, Int32 port) +160
System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port) +159
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection() +35
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +1213

[SmtpException: Failure sending mail.]
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +1531
System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.SendPasswordMa il(String email, String userName, String password, MailDefinition mailDefinition, String defaultSubject, String defaultBody, OnSendingMailDelegate onSendingMailDelegate, OnSendMailErrorDelegate onSendMailErrorDelegate, Control owner) +367
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.Attempt CreateUser() +547
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextB uttonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) +102
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Obj ect source, EventArgs e) +418
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbl eEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +161
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardChildTable.OnBubbl eEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +19
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +37
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(Command EventArgs e) +118
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument) +166
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +36
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4028

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Authorized User

Imar,

Nope no number conversion I must've just typed something in wrong and I'll figure it out eventually.

At this point I decided to use your code instead and opened the various chapters in VS and playing with them. In Chap 15 I encountered some difficulty with the signup.aspx page, in design view it shows the security question fields but when I call it up with ctrl f5 they don't show up and when I type in my details up to and including the email field, press 'create user' I get the 'chinese' stuff below. I don't know what the target machine refused ip address means but I think the smtp errors further down are because I need to use my email details. If I'm right that leaves the missing security question fields and the refused ip. Can you help?

Server Error in '/Chapter 15' Application.
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 66.116.109.37:25
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 66.116.109.37:25

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SocketException (0x274d): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 66.116.109.37:25]
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) +239
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) +35
System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Bool ean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) +224

[WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server]
System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout) +5421675
System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) +202
System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback) +21
System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout) +332
System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(Strin g host, Int32 port) +160
System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port) +159
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection() +35
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +1213

System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.SendPasswordMa il(String email, String userName, String password, MailDefinition mailDefinition, String defaultSubject, String defaultBody, OnSendingMailDelegate onSendingMailDelegate, OnSendMailErrorDelegate onSendMailErrorDelegate, Control owner) +367
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextB uttonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) +102
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Obj ect source, EventArgs e) +418
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbl eEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +161
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WizardChildTable.OnBubbl eEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +19
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +37
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(Command EventArgs e) +118
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument) +166
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +36
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4028

Old October 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Wrox Author

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
If I'm right that leaves the missing security question fields and the refused ip. Can you help?
Not sure what you mean with the missing security question fields.

The refused IP is probably because your mail server is rejecting your message. Somewhere in the stack trace you see this:

Quote:
System.Web.UI.WebControls.LoginUtil.SendPasswordMa il(String email, String userName, String password,
You need to read the stack trace from bottom to to, so this tells you that the CreateUserWizard tried to send an e-mail. However, sending the message failed because the mail server rejected your request.

Have you configured the web.config file correctly with information from chapter 9?

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
Fed (October 24th, 2009)

Old October 24th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Wrox Author

Oh, I think I see what you mean with the security settings. Take a look at the Try It Out exercise on page 539; that's where you learn how to disable this feature.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
Fed (October 24th, 2009)

Old October 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Authorized User

Dear Imar,

Touche' I took care of the config file when following the book examples but forgot all about it :) what can I say? And thanks for the security tip, that's what I get for assuming that your code is ready to go oh well, live and learn.

I did notice one other thing, in chapter 12 page 412 fig. 12-18 displays the GenreID as a field as opposed to the drop down box and it also displays the time but neither your version of the code nor my try out version does that yet I included the date in the select statement and presume you did too. Any idea?

One more thing, somehow I mangled my exercise in the following way, when I bring up the design view of my try outs it displays my designs in the ContentPlaceHolder1(custom) and your version is placed correctly in the cpMainContent(custom), how did that happen and is it bad?

Thanks Imar, sorry to bother you so much but I'm kind of slow :)

Old October 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
12-18 displays the GenreID as a field as opposed to the drop down box and it also displays the time but neither your version of the code nor my try out version does that
A text box is the default behavior, unless you change it to a DropDownList manually. The exercise on page 413 and later shows you how to do that. Mind you: the download code is the *end* result of the chapter, with all exercises applied. The image on page 412 is taken during the creation of the code, and as such cannot be represented directly with the downloadable code.
Quote:
One more thing, somehow I mangled my exercise in the following way, when I bring up the design view of my try outs it displays my designs in the ContentPlaceHolder1(custom) and your version is placed correctly in the cpMainContent(custom), how did that happen and is it bad?
Probably not bad. I think you just didn't rename your control in the Master Page as explained in step 3 on page 197. You can use Find in Files (Ctrl+Shift+F) and rename ContentPlaceHolder1 to cpMainContent.
Quote:
Thanks Imar, sorry to bother you so much but I'm kind of slow :)
You're not bothering me; glad I can help you make the most out of the book.

Cheers,

Imar

Fed (October 24th, 2009)

Old October 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Authorized User

Ok thanks for the thumbs up and the answers. Now for another query;

Remember the error listing I posted re: last exercise in Ch 12? Well I went line by line against your code in both cs and aspx for reviews and addeditreview, and did the same for all the fields in the genre and review tables. While I did apply a couple of changes to the addeditreview piece (was using textbox2 instead of textbox1 in a couple of places) the rest is identical. Where should I go look now? If that error listing would at least tell me what cs or aspx to look into or field name or something.

I'm going nuts...

Cheers

Here's the error listing again;

Server Error in '/Site' Application.
Input string was not in a correct format.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) +7469351
System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) +119
System.String.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatP rovider provider) +46
System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, TypeCode typeCode, IFormatProvider provider) +297
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter.GetValue(Objec t value, String defaultValue, TypeCode type, Boolean convertEmptyStringToNull, Boolean ignoreNullableTypeChanges) +141
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter.GetValue(Objec t value, Boolean ignoreNullableTypeChanges) +63
System.Web.UI.WebControls.ParameterCollection.GetV alues(HttpContext context, Control control) +301
System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.Initia lizeParameters(DbCommand command, ParameterCollection parameters, IDictionary exclusionList) +264
System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.Execut eSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +472
System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSele ctArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +19
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.Perform Select() +142
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.Dat aBind() +73
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.DataBind() +4
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.Ens ureDataBound() +82
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DetailsView.EnsureDataBo und() +184
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundContro l.CreateChildControls() +72
System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +44
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842

Old October 24th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
If that error listing would at least tell me what cs or aspx to look into
Quote:
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request.
You typically get these errors for the currently executing request. So the error probably occurs in the page you're viewing in the browser.

Can you post the full code for the page?

Imar

Old October 24th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Authorized User

Ok, I'm in AddEditReview and I only enter data in the 2 required fields, TITLE & SUMMARY, 'test' and 'test' respectively. The GenreId is 'Punk'

I click "Insert" and the data is accepted.

Next I click the drop down list and select 'punk' and all the reviews for that genre are displayed including the test I just added in the reviews.aspx page.

I click on the TITLE field test and expect the detailsview to display the previously entered values which is the AddEditReview page but instead I get the error.

I've included both pages and their respective C#

Thanks

AddEditReview.aspx

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/ManagementMaster.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="AddEditReview.aspx.cs" Inherits="Management_AddEditReview" Title="Planet Wrox - Management - Insert and Update Reviews" %>
<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" Runat="Server">
</asp:Content>
<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server">
<asp:DetailsView ID="DetailsView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateRows="False" DataKeyNames="Id" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" DefaultMode="Insert"
Height="50px" Width="125px" oniteminserted="DetailsView1_ItemInserted" oniteminserting="DetailsView1_ItemInserting"
onitemupdated="DetailsView1_ItemUpdated" onitemupdating="DetailsView1_ItemUpdating">
<Fields>
<asp:BoundField DataField="Id" HeaderText="Id" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="Id" />
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Title" SortExpression="Title">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Title") %>'></asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Title") %>'></asp:TextBox>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="reqVal1" ControlToValidate="TextBox1"
runat="server" ErrorMessage="Please enter a title">
</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>
</EditItemTemplate>
<InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Title") %>'></asp:TextBox>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="reqVal2" ControlToValidate="TextBox1"
runat="server" ErrorMessage="Please enter a title">
</InsertItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateField>
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Summary" SortExpression="Summary">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Summary") %>'></asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox2" TextMode="MultiLine" Width="500" Height="100" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("Summary") %>'></asp:TextBox>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="reqVal3" ControlToValidate="TextBox2"
runat="server" ErrorMessage="Please enter a summary">
</EditItemTemplate>
<InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox2" TextMode="MultiLine" Width="500" Height="100" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("Summary") %>'></asp:TextBox>
<asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="reqVal4" ControlToValidate="TextBox2"
runat="server" ErrorMessage="Please enter a summary">
</InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Body" SortExpression="Body">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label3" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Body") %>'></asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox3" TextMode="MultiLine" Width="500" Height="100" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Body") %>'></asp:TextBox>
</EditItemTemplate>
<InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox3" TextMode="MultiLine" Width="500" Height="100" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("Body") %>'></asp:TextBox>
</InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="GenreId" SortExpression="GenreId">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="Label4" runat="server" Text='<%# Bind("GenreId") %>'></asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" DataSourceID="sdsGenres" DataTextField="Name" DataValueField="Id" SelectedValue='<%# Bind("GenreId") %>'>
</asp:DropDownList>
</EditItemTemplate>
<InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" DataSourceID="sdsGenres" DataTextField="Name" DataValueField="Id" SelectedValue='<%# Bind("GenreId") %>'>
</InsertItemTemplate>
<asp:CheckBoxField DataField="Authorized" HeaderText="Authorized" SortExpression="Authorized" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="UpdateDateTime" HeaderText="UpdateDateTime" SortExpression="UpdateDateTime" Visible="False" />
<asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" ShowInsertButton="True" />
</Fields>
</asp:DetailsView>
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:PlanetWroxConnectionString1 %>" DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [Review] WHERE [Id] = @Id" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [Review] ([Title], [Summary], [Body], [GenreId], [Authorized], [UpdateDateTime]) VALUES (@Title, @Summary, @Body, @GenreId, @Authorized, @UpdateDateTime)" SelectCommand="SELECT [Id], [Title], [Summary], [Body], [GenreId], [Authorized], [UpdateDateTime] FROM [Review] WHERE ([Id] = @Id)" UpdateCommand="UPDATE [Review] SET [Title] = @Title, [Summary] = @Summary, [Body] = @Body, [GenreId] = @GenreId, [Authorized] = @Authorized, [UpdateDateTime] = @UpdateDateTime WHERE [Id] = @Id">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:QueryStringParameter Name="Id" QueryStringField="Id" Type="Int32" />
</SelectParameters>
<DeleteParameters>
<asp:Parameter Name="Id" Type="Int32" />
</DeleteParameters>
<UpdateParameters>
<asp:Parameter Name="Title" Type="String" />
<asp:Parameter Name="Summary" Type="String" />
<asp:Parameter Name="Body" Type="String" />
<asp:Parameter Name="GenreId" Type="Int32" />
<asp:Parameter Name="Authorized" Type="Boolean" />
<asp:Parameter Name="UpdateDateTime" Type="DateTime" />
</UpdateParameters>
<InsertParameters>
<asp:Parameter Name="Summary" Type="String" />
<asp:Parameter Name="Body" Type="String" />
<asp:Parameter Name="GenreId" Type="Int32" />
<asp:Parameter Name="UpdateDateTime" Type="DateTime" />
</InsertParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="sdsGenres" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:PlanetWroxConnectionString1 %>" SelectCommand="SELECT [Id], [Name] FROM [Genre] ORDER BY [SortOrder]"></asp:SqlDataSource>

AddEditReview.cs

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Data;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
using System.Xml.Linq;

public partial class Management_AddEditReview : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (Request.QueryString.Get("Id") != null)
{
DetailsView1.DefaultMode = DetailsViewMode.Edit;
}
}
protected void DetailsView1_ItemInserted(object sender, DetailsViewInsertedEventArgs e)
{
EndEditing();
}
protected void DetailsView1_ItemInserting(object sender, DetailsViewInsertEventArgs e)
{
e.Values["UpdateDateTime"] = DateTime.Now;
}
protected void DetailsView1_ItemUpdated(object sender, DetailsViewUpdatedEventArgs e)
{
EndEditing();
}
protected void DetailsView1_ItemUpdating(object sender, DetailsViewUpdateEventArgs e)
{
e.NewValues["UpdateDateTime"] = DateTime.Now;
}
private void EndEditing()
{
Response.Redirect("Reviews.aspx");
}
}

Reviews.aspx

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPages/ManagementMaster.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Reviews.aspx.cs" Inherits="Management_Reviews" Title="Planet Wrox - Management - Reviews" %>
<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" Runat="Server">
<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server">
<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList1" runat="server" AppendDataBoundItems="True" AutoPostBack="True"
DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" DataTextField="Name" DataValueField="Id">
<asp:ListItem Value="">Please make a selection</asp:ListItem>
<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource2">
<Columns>
<asp:HyperLinkField DataNavigateUrlFields="Id" DataNavigateUrlFormatString="AddEditReview.aspx?Id =(0)" DataTextField="Title" HeaderText="Title" />
<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Authorized" SortExpression="Authorized">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="LblAuthorized" runat="server" Text='<%# GetBooleanText(Eval ("Authorized")) %>' />
</ItemTemplate>
<asp:BoundField DataField="CreateDateTime" HeaderText="CreateDateTime" SortExpression="CreateDateTime" DataFormatString="{0:g}" />
<asp:CommandField HeaderText="Delete" ShowDeleteButton="True" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>
<a href="AddEditReview.aspx">Insert New Review</a><asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource2" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:PlanetWroxConnectionString1 %>" SelectCommand="SELECT [Id], [Title], [Authorized], [CreateDateTime] FROM [Review] WHERE ([GenreId] = @GenreId)" DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [Review] WHERE [Id] = @Id" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [Review] ([Title], [Authorized], [CreateDateTime]) VALUES (@Title, @Authorized, @CreateDateTime)" UpdateCommand="UPDATE [Review] SET [Title] = @Title, [Authorized] = @Authorized, [CreateDateTime] = @CreateDateTime WHERE [Id] = @Id">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DropDownList1" Name="GenreId" PropertyName="SelectedValue" Type="Int32" />
</SelectParameters>
<DeleteParameters>
</DeleteParameters>
<UpdateParameters>
<asp:Parameter Name="CreateDateTime" Type="DateTime" />
</UpdateParameters>
<InsertParameters>
<asp:Parameter Name="CreateDateTime" Type="DateTime" />
</InsertParameters>
</asp:SqlDataSource>
<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:PlanetWroxConnectionString1 %>" SelectCommand="SELECT [Id], [Name] FROM [Genre] ORDER BY [SortOrder]"></asp:SqlDataSource>
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

Reviews.cs

using System;
using System.Collections;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Data;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
using System.Xml.Linq;

public partial class Management_Reviews : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected string GetBooleanText(object booleanValue)
{
bool authorized = (bool)booleanValue;
if (authorized)
{
return "Yes";
}
else
{
return "No";
}
}
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

}

}

Old October 25th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Wrox Author

Hi Fed,

I don't get the error you're describing but I do see this in Reviews.aspx:

DataNavigateUrlFormatString="AddEditReview.aspx?Id =(0)"

You're using parentheses instead of curly braces and have an additional space. This way, the ID is not appended to the query string but instead you browse to:

AddEditReview.aspx?Id =(0)

instead of something like:

AddEditReview.aspx?Id =23

Drop the space, replace (0) with {0} and then editing should work (it does for me).

If it still doesn't work, check your database tables. Maybe you're using an incorrect type for any of the columns?

Imar

Fed (October 25th, 2009)