Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to Ali Ezz
Default Why page Error500 apears when uploading image ?

When I upload image in the list view, page Error500 appears to me, why is that ?
Is the problem coming from my database, I created the database wrong, or what ?
I'm Confused !!
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,576 Times in 1,552 Posts

Hi there,

Can you provide more details about the error? It could be a database error, but it could also be a file permission error for the uploaded files. In Internet Explorer, try Tools | Internet Options, then on the Advanced tab disable "Friendly HTTP Error messages". Do you get a more detailed error then when you upload files again?

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
Ali Ezz (February 12th, 2010)
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Authorized User

ok I will reply within hours, because in work now ..

BUT SECOND PROBLEM, I have a user which has got a Manager role, and when i sign in with that manager user, its signs in as a normal user, and the Manage link below in the footer doesn't appear, as if it is a normal user, and it isnt, its a Manager.

Third, CONCERNING THE EMAIL SETTINGS, which settings should i change in the (in the web.config or what) after uploading the site to host server, so that emails could be sent, because they were sent normally when the site was local.
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100 Points: 70,322, Level: 100

Then a) it's not a Manager (check the WSAT), or b) you configured the LoginView incorrectly (check spelling of the role name) or c) something else is going on. For c) you need to provide more details about your setup.

With regard to your question about e-mail: you need to talk to your host. Maybe they have a mail server at localhost, but more likely you need to use one oft their networked mail servers. Search their help / FAQs or contact their support department; they should be able to provide you the necessary information.

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
Ali Ezz (February 12th, 2010)
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Authorized User

About the Manager role account:
It is working locally, I sign in with the same account, and then click on the Manage link normally, So How Come it does not work after hosting the site.
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Wrox Author

As I said earlier:
Quote:
For c) you need to provide more details about your setup
I am not allowed to use my crystal ball in this forum.... ;-)

Old February 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Authorized User

I've managed to solve the Manager Role problem,

But concerning the second problem which is about the List View;

1. I cant get it yet, it uploads the images with no problems when testing the site locally.
2. But when uploading them online, the Error page "Error500" appears to me and when I come to insert the name of the album it is saved, but then when i come to enter the description, tooltip and image, nothing is saved.

Why is that ?

Last edited by Ali Ezz; February 12th, 2010 at 04:38 PM..
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imar View Post
Can you provide more details about the error? It could be a database error, but it could also be a file permission error for the uploaded files. In Internet Explorer, try Tools | Internet Options, then on the Advanced tab disable "Friendly HTTP Error messages". Do you get a more detailed error then when you upload files again?
Not much has changed since I posted this. I can't help you if you're not providing relevant info. Did you try disabling friendly HTTP error messages?

Imar

Old February 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Authorized User

I've tried Everything I could,
I tried to disable the HTTP error messages,

Finally what I've did, I just copied the source code from chapter 18, changed the necessary settings, the DB connection string as well as the mail settings in web.config.

Then everthing seems working fine, the manager role, and also entered some new reviews which appeared normally, thus everything is working fine.

But when I come to upload the images, only the album name is saved, and the description, tooltip and images cant be saved , BUT when I choose the first four ablums of the concert, each one of them shows the images normally, which were already in the source code.

Imar, thats my Last Question, so that you dont get bothered from me.
And Thanks for your support Imar.

Last edited by Ali Ezz; February 13th, 2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Wrox Author

Quote:
Imar, thats my Last Question, so that you dont get bothered from me
I don't see a question here...

You're not bothering me, but I can't help you without information. "Not working" is not enough. How did your host configure things? To what account did they grant Write permnisssions for GigPics? Did they even grant permissions? What OS are you running on? Have yoiu tried getting more detailed error info? Diid you configure customErrors? Did you ask your host to check the Event viewer? Are you sure it a permission problem? Do you see files end up in GigPics? What happens when you trace the application using ASP.NET Tracing? Do you see records in the Picture table?

These are just as few of the many questions you should ask yoiurself in order to fix this. Find answers to them, and you'll find a soolution or they give you at least something to aask for real in this forum, rather than posting "it doesn't work" ;-)

Cheers,

Imsr