Wrox Programmer Forums
| Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Jack Purdum; ISBN: 9780470261293
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. New member registration was closed in 2019. New posts were shut off and the site was archived into this static format as of October 1, 2020. If you require technical support for a Wrox book please contact http://hub.wiley.com

Old September 21st, 2008, 05:09 AM

Default The book ive been waiting for !!

Just wanted to say thanks for an excellent book !!
I have had a few beginning books but have found the text vague and the exercises take a huge leap of fatih and understanding.

Your book is well structured and informative, the only book I have read that actually treats you like a beginner and tells you how about to starting thinking about what you are going to write the five step process BRILLIANT!! and the structure for a class the symbolic constants , static members etc, etc again BRILLIANT.

It is like being in a class for me anyway as I thought hang on not sure what that was all about you then explained it.

Please I beg you to follow up on another book that picks up where this one leaves off.

Maybe following one big application throughout the book ?

Anyway excellent book !!

A return to the wrox books of old

Paul

Old September 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi Paul:

Thanks for the kind words...feel free to write a review on Amazon.com!! :>)

I've thought about a second book, but I'm still thinking about what topics need to be covered. I kind of like the single application idea, but it would have to be generic enough to appeal to all readers, yet cover the topics at hand. I'm working on a stock forecasting program that uses real time stock quotes to define trigger points for buying and selling stocks based on a model I've developed. It would dig deep into database programming, using the grid control, SQL, app-to-web communications, threading, all of course using a 3-tier OOP architecture. It's still a bit fuzzy, but I'm working on the code right now.

Any ideas you people have out there are always welcomed!! And, again, thanks for taking the time to tell me about your experience with the book.

Dr. Purdum

Jack Purdum, Ph.D.
Author: Beginning C# 3.0: Introduction to Object Oriented Programming (and 14 other programming texts)

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:37 AM

Well these are the things after reading your book I'm googling and digging into MSDN at the moment.
How to properly structure a 3 - tier application especially the dataaccess and business logic and how they hang together
Delegates and there use, Threading / remoting / using an app config file in my application.

I guess now I've read your book I am thinking is there a better / elegant way of doing this, theres a lot of info out there but what i like about your book is that you cocentrated on the WHY just as much as the HOW.

So as I wait for your the next book. If you know of any books / links that might point me in the right direction? I would be much abliged.

Old October 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

There are a bazillion places to get code to look at, which is a great way to improve your coding skills...assuming it's good code! Just Google whatever topic you're interested in and chances are you'll find what you need. I also like The Code Project (http://www.codeproject.com/?cat=3) for a source of interesting C# code.

Dr. Purdum

Jack Purdum, Ph.D.
Author: Beginning C# 3.0: Introduction to Object Oriented Programming (and 14 other programming texts)